Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone...am here again asking for advice...a few weeks ago i started a thread about dulce's issues...brought her to the vet and found out she has sarcoptic egg and at the same time she has allergies too...could it be from her new food (we just switched her to go natural salmon flavor)....they injected her with ivermectin and she will continue with this treatment for the next couple weeks...she had her second shot of ivermectin yesterday....i also put on medicated cream on her ears as she had been scratching a lot in that area...and am using a medicated shampoo on her twice a week...anyway, her scratching has ceased tremedously and thank goodness her sarcoptic mange is under control...she never opened her skin, no secondary infections or anything like that...

my concern now is, she refused to eat her food...i know she has an appetite coz everytime we eat she was always there giving us a guilty look...but everytime we give her her food, (rice with boiled chicken or boiled meat and recently just plain boiled potato), she refused to eat them and this has been goin on since yesterday....i dunno what to do with her anymore...shes still active but if she keeps on doing this, am afraid shes gonna get sick and her immune system will go down which will eventually lead to a bigger problem...if her immune system is down, she wont be able to fight the sarcoptic mange....i bought a canned dog food that she used to like and mixed it with rice but she still refused to eat that one too....i asked the vet and she only said that maybe she has eaten something and shes looking for that "taste"...cant remember giving her anything other than those she usually eats these past few days....the vet didnt even give me anything that will boost her appetite or any vitamins....she just lay down most of the times...she does play with us for a short while and then lay down again....

am frustrated already and i dunno what to do now....we're kinda hard up financially and if dulce will get sick even more, am afraid i wont be able to support her medical needs....worst case scenario, i might give her up for adoption to someone who will be able to support her medical needs and i dont want that to happen...but its horrible to see her gets worst and theres nothing i can do about it....any advice will be greatly appreciated....thank you so much...

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry you are having trouble with Dulcie,What type of food are you feeding her, as you mentioned salmon flavored food, then boiled rice and chicken. Maybe slightly heat her food and the flavor will be enhanced. In Australia you can purchase an appetite stimulant that is full of vitamins if helps when recovering from illness.
Hope Dulcie soon starts eating,is this just a recent problem of her not eating, was she happy and healthy before the mange?

·
Owned by Emma
727 Posts
So sorry to hear you have such problems with your Dulce.
Have you tried to pretend to eat from her bowl? If she seems lured by your food perhaps you can trick her into thinking she is eating your food.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not sure if it would help your situation at all but watered down ACV has helped Logans skin tremendously after I bathe him I rinse him with it....
The eating thing... you could try eggs... ( unless she's allergic) I give
them raw blended whole in the blender on frappe so they get calcium
from the shells..... he feels like eating nothing else he will usually have this
If you don't like the raw idea you could scramble them... and those moments where
he is difficult about eating I get right on the floor with a big spoon and
hand feed him... Im sure it looks kinda funny... but I'll do whatever it takes

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
If you have been feeding her people food she may be just being finicky with the dog food.

Try putting some hot water in her food and let it soak a few minutes, sometimes warm food is more appealing and it will increase the aroma of the food too which may entice her to eat.

A healthy dog will not starve themselves. Offer Dulce her food, if she has not eaten it in 10 or 15 minutes, pick up and don't feed her people food or anything else. The next normal feeding time offer her the regular again. As long as there is no health problem, she will eat when she gets hungry.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Maybe she is just not feeling up to par with the mange and meds.

I would try the ideas here, if they don't work she may need to see the vet again if she is losing weight.

Good Luck, I am sorry Dulce is having so many problems. I know it is hard to worry about money.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Since dogs love the taste of human food....give her some beef or chicken gravy with her food. Also my guys love chicken hearts, gizzards, and livers. I can almost guarantee it will magicly disappear.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so sorry that Dulce is having these problems..poor baby. I hope she gets to eating real soon..I put warm water in Misty's food and let it get soft when she wouldnt eat...and that helped. Good luck with her...and I also know what its like to not have enugh money to do what you want/need to do...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hello everyone...and sorry for getting back at you guys after a few days..i did get to read your posts but didnt get the chance to post a reply for a number of reasons....

i tried everything from pretending to eat from her bowl, hand feeding her to giving her warm food (she always eat warm food)....it just wont lure her to eat...mom said it could be from her meds coz shes been chewing her antibiotics every after meal....i think mom was right...coz after she was done with all her antibiotics, she started eating again like a hungry hippo....by the way, we dont give her people food....although there were times dad would sneak in some people food for her whenever we're not watching.....but he stopped now....

the economic downturn has affected my business tremendously....mom is the only one working right now...dad is jobless and am having problems with the business....am so behind on other bills and currently am getting rid or selling some of the stuffs that we dont need...dad was diagnosed of having an enlargement of the heart and has a blood clot in one of his arteries...he doesnt have a health insurance and am the one spending money for his medical needs....so far we're still ok....but if one of us gets sick (mom, me or dulce), then its a different story...we all love dulce so much....but if she gets sick to the point that we cannot support her medical needs, we have decided to rehome her to other families who can support her....i would rather give her up for adoption than to see her suffer and we cant do anything about it....shes still young....shes very nice and sweet....she deserves to live a full happy life....am glad though that we dont have to take that route now...she has been eating and is active again....thank you all so much for chiming in....your advices and suggestions are greatly appreciated..... :)

by the way, here she is helping me sell one of my cameras (SLR since college days) online...got a lot of nice text messages about her though....actually more messages about her than the cam itself...LOL...

p.s.
who would have thought she got mange in this pix?...LOL...by the way, the vet was so happy to see dulce the other day and she never even had a wound or anything because of her mange....that means no need to worry about secondary infection...she will have her last shot of ivermectin on march 20 and hopefully she will be negative of sarcoptic mange by then... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts