Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I live in Atlanta, GA and I am without a Golden Retriever for the first time in my life, except for 1 year when I was 5 years old so unfortunately, I don't have a GR to introduce anymore.

Our sweet boy Duke who my now husband and I got after my college graduation in 2010 passed away very unexpectedly early friday morning due to hemangiosarcoma which had spread through his heart and spleen, etc. and pericardial effusion. We are in shock and devastated as he was supposed to turn 10 this week and we felt that was so young as my childhood golden lived to be 15. He had also seemed completely fine. He had been to the vet in the past 60 days and was playing and begging for french fries just a couple hours earlier, before being unable to stand etc. so cancer never crossed our minds. After more research we have discovered this is more common than we had realized.

We do still have a 13 year old schipperke who was Duke's best friend, and he is struggling as well. Anyways, I stumbled upon this site when researching Duke's condition and hoped this would be good to stay connected to GR's and a resource as we begin to look for another golden in the future.

·
Super Moderator
3,010 Posts
I wish I could welcome you under better circumstances. So very sorry for your loss. He was a handsome guy. I hope when the time is right that the Forum serves as a helpful resource for you.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I am so sorry about your loss of Duke. I hate cancer. I can tell Duke had a life filled with love. This is one place where so many sadly understand your pain.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Duke. I have a Duke as well. I also haven't been without a Golden in my life since I was 15 years old. Unfortunately those of us who have loved this breed long enough all seem to experience a loss like yours sooner or later. I have no doubt you will find another Golden to love when the time is right. My only advice is not to get in a hurry. Golden's indeed hold a special place in a family.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts