Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke is wearing me out today! We did our long walk (3 miles) even though it's freezing out in Chicago and sidewalks were slick. We met a new golden (Rowdy, 1 year old, +107lbs golden) on our walk and played for a bit. Then it was time to come home because the weather was starting to get worse. Duke has started this new thing on our walks. If he thinks we're turning around too soon he starts running in circles at the end of his leash and trying to play tug of war with me. Once I get that under control and bring him home, he's managed to train me me to take him immediately to the back yard to play with his jolly ball (again he likes to play tug of war - which I don't mind doing - some). But he can go and go and go...:D Since it's so nasty out today, I've thrown the tennis ball for him to catch and bring back to me for 45 minutes this evening inside the house. That didn't manage to wear him out. He still wanted outside to play with his jolly ball; which he preceded to bring to the back door and scratch the door. As soon as I would open the door to let him in he would take off running. He wanted me to come outside and play! What do other folks do to get some of the energy out of their goldens?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
My girls are easy, I think...four or five times outside for 15-20 minutes playing fetch and they are happy...they play tug-of-war several times a day, follow me around and sleep.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My girls are easy, I think...four or five times outside for 15-20 minutes playing fetch and they are happy...they play tug-of-war several times a day, follow me around and sleep.
How old are your girls? That picture is adorable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
don't be confused, he is not settling down, just waiting for the slightest hint that you are ready to go again. I have an energizer Golden too. At 8 he has slowed down.....a little bit anyhow.

·
Anne
250 Posts
Sounds like a fun guy who knows just how to get what he wants. :) My boy adores playing ball too, so I do understand. For those days when it's just too miserable out (plus when it's super icy like it is here right now, it can be downright dangerous), I like to use training and indoor games to get some of that energy out and provide mental stimulation as well. You can use obedience training (including things like chase recalls to get him to run more), tricks, games such as hide and seek with a ball or other toy, treats, or even kibble.... The possibilities are endless. Plus, it's fun! :)

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a fun guy who knows just how to get what he wants. :) My boy adores playing ball too, so I do understand. For those days when it's just too miserable out (plus when it's super icy like it is here right now, it can be downright dangerous), I like to use training and indoor games to get some of that energy out and provide mental stimulation as well. You can use obedience training (including things like chase recalls to get him to run more), tricks, games such as hide and seek with a ball or other toy, treats, or even kibble.... The possibilities are endless. Plus, it's fun! :)
Those are great ideas!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: gldnboys

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
BaWaaJige could care less if it is cold outside he wants to play/work he doesn't care about that either just get out there and do something with him. It is hard to work him in the house as I do have several dogs and if they are crated they bark. I go out and play 2 times a day with bad weather like today it was -14 at the high. Darn cold if you ask me.

·
Brody's Mum
75 Posts
Hi, because I've been ill for a few months I've had the same problem of finding ways to let Brody release his energy. This huge boomer ball is brilliant...he spends ages trying to "retrieve" it, and the noises he makes are hilarious! :)

He's around 6 months old in the video..

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
I understand how you feel and what you must be going through. Last winter was a challenging time for me and Mercy since she was still a teenager under a year of age with pent up energy. I have tossed the idea around of starting an indoor dog park business, like Gymboree for dogs, but I am not sure how I could make it happen in reality. I have also sworn off taking Mercy to outdoor dog parks again to protect her from psychological damage, and the Leesburg Country Club which screens the dogs temperaments before letting them play is shutting down! :no: Doggy daycare can be expensive and besides I have 3 other people (housekeeper/renters) besides my husband who live with me now, so it seems pointless now. At least Mercy has calmed down alot. I give my breeder praise for selecting a puppy for me that is more content to lay around versus runnning around 24/7 like my last pup did. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts