Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Duke had his environmental allergy test and he is allergic to quite a few things...mostly grass, dust, and some tree bark (2 or greater means considered allergic).

We begin treatment as soon as they can get the medicine sent to my house. He's been on Apoquel for the past couple of weeks and has responded really well to it. I just am not comfortable putting him on it yet without trying allergy meds first (I elected oral vs shots). It's supposed to be just as effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I picked Duke up from boarding last night and he has an ear infection today. Last month he had 2 hot spots the day I picked him up from boarding. Why does he get sick every time I board him. It's where he goes for daycare and they take good care of him. Charlie has been fine both times.

ETA - it's a bacterial infection. Vet sent him home with Baytril ear drops. He saw "rods" in the culture so sending it in for further analysis. He said this could have started because we started treating with allergy drops.

Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumping up to see if anybody else has experienced ear infections as a result of doing allergy drops?

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,697 Posts
Sorry to hear about Charlie's ear infection.
I don't have any experience with this and have never heard about the drops causing them either.

How's he doing today?

Hopefully some other members will see this and post.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh poor Duke, that's a lot of allergies to have. My friend has a red setter who has a similar bucket load of allergies and I believe its quite the job trying to manage it all.

I'm sorry I have not heard of ear infections due to oral allergy drops. It sounds so strange, could he possibly to be allergic to an ingredient?

Is it possible for you to find a pet/house sitter near you, who would come to your house and mind them instead of the boarding?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duke's ear is smelling much better today. The vet indicated that the allergy drops are actually intended to build up their immune system to the things they are allergic to. So Duke is getting 2 doses a day of the things he is allergic to so that his immune system starts to respond. The goal is to build up his tolerance over a period of time (9-12 months). However, I wasn't prepared for him to get such a nasty ear infection. He hasn't had one since he was 6 months old. I could smell his ear across the room....:-( I'm hoping the Baytril drops start to work their magic (and that they're tackling the right bacteria). Baytril is a really strong antibiotic. He had it before orally (for a prostrate infection when he was a puppy). This is an ointment you squeeze in his ears. I'm just hoping he starts to get better soon.

I don't really like boarding the boys, but I feel safer with them in a controlled environment that they go to everyday vs having somebody come into my home and possibly leave a gate open, etc. I'm just concerned they didn't catch the ear infection (or the hot spots last month). I said something to them this time. They apologized, but didn't really have an answer as to how it got missed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts