Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my Duke to cancer in January and I am having a hard time with the loss I cannot seem to get past the grief I miss him dearly

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It is really hard and many of us understand your pain. Although you will always miss Duke, I don't think it will always be so difficult and happy memories will ease the pain. Maybe you would like to post some pictures and tell us a little about him?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear about Duke. I know we can all relate to how you are feeling, I have felt the same way. We get through it day by day and the support here is really helpful. Please private msg. me that date in Jan. 2018 that Duke went to the Bridge and your name (Chance), and I will add him to the Rainbow Bridge List.

My Smooch and Snobear will take care of Duke!

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Duke. Unfortunately so many of us have also experienced the loss of our beloved pets and understand completely. Maybe when the time is right you can post a bit about Duke? We would love hearing about him and the life you had together.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,210 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Duke.
When you are ready, I hope you will tell us about him and share pictures with us.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember the day we rescued him from a shelter he was sitting quietly in his cage the other dogs were going nuts we took him outside for a meet & greet he ran and jumped into the pond and then ran over to my husband and put his wet face on his lap my husband thought it was so funny that it took about five seconds to say get in the truck you're going home today . On the two hour ride home he slept with his head in my lap and boy did he snore and drool and I could have cared a less I think he was so happy and content that he knew we would be good parents and playmates .
After the first night we noticed a cough thankfully a quick trip to the vet and a course of antibitoics he was as good as new
We were so very lucky to have him as our child for nine great years he past away on Jan 3 2018 in my arms and I know this may sound crazy a few night later I had a dream that he was playing with our first golden Chance the only thing is they were both white I can only assume they are now ANGELS !!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Duke, my heart goes out to you. I lost my boy Charlie in early January as well, so am travelling this difficult journey with you. Yes, it is so hard, we miss them so much, they are such a huge part of our lives, and leave such a huge hole in our hearts, emptiness in our lives when the cross over the bridge, but it does get a little easier over time - we can't hurry these things, we all heal at our own pace - try to take it one day at a time. Thank you for sharing your bringing him home story, sounds like a match that was 'meant to be'.

'Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened.'

This quote was shared with me, I am not 'there' yet, but I know in time, I will be, and hope that you can get 'there' too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chance, I also lost my dog to cancer three weeks ago. I'm very sorry for your loss, it hurts so much. I have been talking to my wife about the good times I remember having with him. I feel it helps put a smile on my face. Chin up, only time will help heal the pain. I wish you all the luck on your journey...

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
We lost all three of ours in a little over 8 months, so we understand what you are going through. Interestingly enough we’d decided to add a puppy after the second one passed so our last boy wasn’t alone, but unfortunately we lost him about a month later but had already committed to the puppy. It took quite a bit of soul searching to decide to go ahead and take the baby. While, our heartache is still there for our lost ones, the puppy has definitely helped to fill the hole they left in our life. We have printed several canvas pictures of them - one of each and a group shot and hung them over the puppy’s crate so we see them all the time. Everyday we talk about our memories of the others as the baby grows and experiences life. We probably we have waited to add a dog if the circumstances were different, but for us, the puppy has been a welcome balm to our hearts.

We are so sorry for the loss of Duke and hope time dulls the sharpest edge of grief and replaces it with the memories of a life full of golden love. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts