Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I didn't post much for the last few weeks, so I thought I'd give an update as to what "Frick and Frack" have been up to during the holidays so far.

This is the first Christmas we've had with Duke and he was just a hoot! It's actually "Thanksgiving" here every week with him around. I keep saying that his old owners have absolutely NO idea the treasure they gave up when they sold Duke to us last spring. He's the gentlest, goofiest, most velcro dog and he brings us such joy and antics every day.

So we opened gifts on Christmas morning, and their joy about receiving them was palpatable. I came downstairs with handsful of bags, and Duke stuck his head in one of the bags and brought out their "jinglebells collars" right away. They wore it nicely except that he kept wanting to take Sophie's off of her. They looked and sounded so adorable!

After the gift opening, the kids brought their goodies to their rooms, and daughter was in the bathroom primping. She had put her Ferrero Rochers on her bed and left the door ajar. After a while, we started wondering where Duke was... when we heard daughter yelling "Duke! No! Release!" He had eaten 14 Ferrero Rochers while she was out of there. We got out the hydrogen peroxide and gave him 2 or 3 tablespoons of it. Then outside he went. For the first 5 or 6 minutes nothing was happening, but when Sophie came outside, she managed to get him moving and playing. The peroxide was probably bubbling up more and more during this play session. Up came the chocolate, foil, and nuts. He threw up about 5 times... poor baby. After this, hubster decided to help him out by giving him some yogurt to settle his belly. Up came the yogurt! We had to feed him dinner in 2 batches just to make sure the peroxide wasn't working on him anymore. He was fine thank goodness.

The day after boxing day we found a bag with 2 huge smoked bones on our counter. Daughter who was working on boxing day had bought them and stuck them on the counter for them. I don't usually allow those smoked bones for them, but daughter doesn't know better, so I'm making an exception. Hubster went to Mass, forgetting about the bones that were nicely tucked in the corner on the counter. We lock them up in the kitchen when we leave and go on our merry way. We came home to a super happy Duke, wiggling his whole body and proudly displaying "his" prize. Sophie the sweet little girl that she is, didn't touch a thing. She never does, she TRIES to be our "goody 2 shoes", but doesn't always succeed. Duke on the other hand, is like a little boy, always happy and always in trouble.

Duke gave the bone to daddy with no problem, and daddy separated the bone into 2 pieces. Sophie's so weird, when she gets a high value treat, she wants to go outside with it. She whined and cried until we opened the door for her. Once she was out there, she hardly touched the bone though. We only allowed them about 20 minutes with the bone and it's now in the fridge for the next session.

Later, we went to the off leash dog park to burn off some energy and calories. They were playing in the deep snow, jumping around among the trees, having a great time. They were playing with other dogs as well. Sophie got friendly with a boxer and was having lots of fun with him. At one point, he started to hump her (he's fixed) in a playful way. Duke was playing about 10 feet from them and when he noticed the Boxer humping Sophie, he didn't take kindly to it at all. He ran up to the Boxer, and growled at him, and pushed him off of Sophie with his snout. There was no fighting about it, just the warning and the push, then everyone was friendly again and playing.

The funny thing is, Sophie humps Duke, and Duke humps Sophie all the time. Sophie does it to get a reaction out of Duke, so he'll chase her and wrestle with her. You see, Duke doesn't have the play instinct as heavily as Sophie does, and she's realized how to get a rise out of him so she can play. Sophie is so playful that she becomes the "bratty sister". She won't leave him alone until he just HAS to play with her. It gets to the point where Duke will grab her hard and you can hear her whine, but do you think she let's up? Nope, she just does it again and again. She is perpetually full of scabs around the neck due to Duke's rough handling. They've never had a fight though, thank goodness.

Anyway, the holiday season isn't over yet, so I'm interested to know what's in store for the next few days.

Hope you guys had great Holidays!

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
I'm thankful Duke's previous owners were so clueless about the treasure they gave up - he's certainly in the best home now!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Their loss is your gain. Some people dont realize what they have. It sounds like it was a great day except for him eating those chocolates. I love those and am rationing mine. Give Duke a big kiss from me.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you from Duke (and me)... he's much loved and I'm sure he knows it. We tried so much harder in the beginning to love Duke, as we had Sophie and the bonding with an older dog isn't as easy at first... but it sure didn't take long. He was a sweetheart from the beginning and made sure he hid his mischief well. As soon as he knew we had no chance, the mischief began, and boy oh boy, life has been fun, and I don't know what Sophie or we'd do without the rascal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts