Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very worried about Duke. He is 2 years old and started throwing up bile on Saturday morning. I gave him pepcid and slowly added his food back and he seemed fine. Sunday morning he woke me up throwing up bile and sticks. We went to ER Vet. She took xrays and said there was no obvious indication of blockage. We put him on bland diet, but he gagged every time I fed him. Took him to his regular vet on Monday. She prescribed anti-nauseau and flagyl. He seemed to be doing better with 4 small meals a day (scrambled eggs and beef due to his allergies). Yesterday I started working his kibble back in. This morning I decided to go back to 2 meals a day and fed him part kibble and part beef/scrambled eggs. He promptly threw it back up. Another trip to the ER vet. More x-rays and barium this time. Intestines appear clear, but food is sitting in his stomach and not moving. We just did a recheck on the x-rays and food has not moved. We go back in 4 hours to do another x-ray. If it hasn't moved they want to do surgery tomorrow. I am so worried about him. Are there other tests I should be asking about? Surgery scares me, but I'll do it if it means saving him.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Oh no, I am so sorry. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will resolve itself without surgery.
I would run bloodwork though to make sure there is not something else going on and it is always a good idea to have bloodwork done in case he does need surgery.

Good luck, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Duke.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no, I am so sorry. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will resolve itself without surgery.
I would run bloodwork though to make sure there is not something else going on and it is always a good idea to have bloodwork done in case he does need surgery.

Good luck, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Duke.
I forgot to mention we did bloodwork as well and came back normal. No indication of infection.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be a blockage.... some things (wash cloths) don't show up on xrays.
They're looking more that things don't seem blocked up in the intestines - nothing seems to be straining or full. He is also able to go poo. The thought is there could be something in stomaching preventing things from moving through normally. Things are getting through because he went poo this morning. When I was doing small meals his stomach wasn't getting full, but when I went back to full meal it caused him to be sick again. I'm not really sure what it is. My biggest fear is blockage because he eats everything (rocks, fabric, sticks)...I watch him closely, but he could still get to stuff.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just watch Duke close and dont let him out unattended for a while. Bentley used to clean out the litterbox when I would not watch him and one day I found him with his big head in there. He got surprised when I saw him and really gave him a couple pops on the nose and butt, with strong no's. He has never been back in there. Duke will learn too, if you make an example of what not to eat. Praying your boy will heal quickly without surgery.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We went through something similar with Brady. I went in daily to take x-rays that showed nothing but a few air pockets. It wasn't until my vet decided to schedule him for an ultrasound that something showed up. In surgery they had to go through his stomach and intestines. He had two little pieces of face cloth attached by a string. One piece was in his stomach and one piece in his intestines.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I am very worried about Duke. He is 2 years old and started throwing up bile on Saturday morning. I gave him pepcid and slowly added his food back and he seemed fine. Sunday morning he woke me up throwing up bile and sticks. We went to ER Vet. She took xrays and said there was no obvious indication of blockage. We put him on bland diet, but he gagged every time I fed him. Took him to his regular vet on Monday. She prescribed anti-nauseau and flagyl. He seemed to be doing better with 4 small meals a day (scrambled eggs and beef due to his allergies). Yesterday I started working his kibble back in. This morning I decided to go back to 2 meals a day and fed him part kibble and part beef/scrambled eggs. He promptly threw it back up. Another trip to the ER vet. More x-rays and barium this time. Intestines appear clear, but food is sitting in his stomach and not moving. We just did a recheck on the x-rays and food has not moved. We go back in 4 hours to do another x-ray. If it hasn't moved they want to do surgery tomorrow. I am so worried about him. Are there other tests I should be asking about? Surgery scares me, but I'll do it if it means saving him.
Oh, no, Jenn! I thought he was all better! I am so sorry!!! I will be following very closely now that I have seen this!

Hugs,
NewfieMom

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my goodness i'm so sorry you are going through this! If you trust your vet i would go with your gut instinct. please keep us updated... sending him well wishes too!

Would an ultrasound show more than an xray?
I think that's my next question before we skip straight to surgery. The VCA hospital in downer's grove has ultrasound and er services. I trust them because they helped duke when he was 6 months old and got really sick with a prostate infection...

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, no, Jenn! I thought he was all better! I am so sorry!!! I will be following very closely now that I have seen this!

Hugs,
NewfieMom
Deb - I thought he was too! Then right after I typed that update to you, he threw up his breakfast...he's been glued to my side all day. It's been rather difficult to get any work done - being worried about him and he keeps putting his chin on my keyboard...my husband tries to act all like he isn't as attached to duke as i am, but he keeps calling and asking for updates....he finally fessed up that he's worried..

1 - 20 of 540 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.