Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little miffed at Duffy, although I know he's not to blame being just a youngster.

He has been getting very rough with little Teddy (who is 1/3 Duffy's size) when they play. And he takes *everything* away from Teddy, even Teddy's own designated toys.

Tonight, he was play way too rough and injured Teddy's paw. Teddy cried and was limping. I think he hurt his dew claw. Teddy sat next to me for quite some time licking his paw. He wouldn't let me take a look at it.

Its a couple of hours later, he is no longer limping and I know we're lucky it was not serious.

But how in the world do we handle this? They love to play, but Duffy is young, big and rough. I fear worse injuries are liable to happen. Is keeping them from playing together the only answer?

Kris

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
You are the boss, you get to decide what level of play is acceptable. Intervene when you feel it's too rough, they will eventually tone it down to what you want. Duffy will mature as he gets older too and not be so rough. Hang in there!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree. Unfortunately these big boys dont realize their size when they are growing up.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I have a similar issue with Gilmour when he's at my Mom's house.

She has a Yorkie that weighs all of 5 pounds. Gilmour always wants to play, but the Yorkie is in no mood for this at all and gets all pissy with Gilmour.

But being a young Golden, Gilmour doesn't give up. He wants to play!

Gilmour likes to 'pin' his playmates with his front paws. This is fine for the other big dogs he plays with, and even with Ronin the cat at home, but a 5 pound Yorkie is as fragile as a potatoe chip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts