Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pippin's Wrangler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our golden boy (1 year 2 mos) has had dry skin most of his life. When we got him as a puppy, he had horrible dandruff that required special shampoo to get rid of. Now that he's older, he still gets rings of dry skin that peel as well as dandruff on his rump and inner legs. When I took him to the vet last time, she indicated it was probably a staph infection so he was put on antibiotics. The spots didn't clear up entirely and now they're popping up all over the place (newest one is on his ear). He doesn't nibble at them or irritate them- they just flake constantly and are always in a ring.

He eats Purina ONE large breed adult food, but I'm open to switching if it helps his skin. Have any of you had success treating skin issues with different food/supplements/shampoos?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Odd that the dry patches are always in a ring shape. I don't think that is usually the case with ichthyosis although I'm no expert. You could try Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach. I have heard great things about switching dogs to that when they have a skin issue going on. Were his parents tested for ichthyosis? You could ask your breeder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts