Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!!
so i have been lets say "struggling" trying to find the perfect dry food for my girl.
BUT! i have hear a lot about "DCM" on some dry foods, my pup is currently 3 months, i have try feeding her PPP SSS, but she just didnt like it, then move onto wellness, which she wasn't a fan of either, she is currently with NUTRIENCE, and she eats, BUT i don't think it is the healthiest choice for her to grow....
Some are suggesting Purina pro plan Puppy large breed which is chicken, or IAM large breed, or Royal Canin or Hills, which those last two i am not looking to buy.
Now i saw Nutro lamb and rice i believe for large breed pups, but a lot are saying that it really isn't the best for golden, as well as Authority and so on..

Which dry food would you guys recommend that will keep my pup healthy, healthy

·
Registered
879 Posts
i have try feeding her PPP SSS, but she just didnt like it, then move onto wellness, which she wasn't a fan of either
Why do you say that? Is she just not eating as much as you expect?

·
Registered
879 Posts
She probably isn't hungry.

Reactions: FTGoldens

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello guys!!
so i have been lets say "struggling" trying to find the perfect dry food for my girl.
BUT! i have hear a lot about "DCM" on some dry foods, my pup is currently 3 months, i have try feeding her PPP SSS, but she just didnt like it, then move onto wellness, which she wasn't a fan of either, she is currently with NUTRIENCE, and she eats, BUT i don't think it is the healthiest choice for her to grow....
Some are suggesting Purina pro plan Puppy large breed which is chicken, or IAM large breed, or Royal Canin or Hills, which those last two i am not looking to buy.
Now i saw Nutro lamb and rice i believe for large breed pups, but a lot are saying that it really isn't the best for golden, as well as Authority and so on..

Which dry food would you guys recommend that will keep my pup healthy, healthy
I've heard staying away from Grain Free unless your dog has allergies; consult vet before going with Grain Free.
For Golden's it's important that Taurine and or L-Carnitine are present in the dog food to support heart health in breeds that are prone to cardiac stress; which helps to prevent DCM.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
There are many good quality puppy foods on the market, so what might be great for my puppy might not be right for yours. If you haven't already, I'd do some reading on what makes a quality food (The Whole Dog Journal should have some online articles, and the Dog Aware site also is a great place to read up), and then experiment to see if you can find one that your puppy likes.

RE the DCM thing... So far, it's not known what is causing the increase in reports of DCM. There seems to be a correlation between grain-free foods and DCM... but causation hasn't been proven yet. Until the scientists figure it out, you are probably safest feeding a food that is grain inclusive (but not grain heavy - the majority of the protein should still be coming from meat sources), and ideally, free of legumes (peas, chick peas, etc.).

It's also possible that you just have a puppy that isn't particularly interested in food (rare but not unknown). If she eats things like biscuits and chicken and cheese and training treats with enthusiasm, but turns her nose up at the food, then I'd suspect the food. If she isn't much interested in ANY kind of food/treat, then it may just be that she's not a food-motivated dog.

How much is she actually eating?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard staying away from Grain Free unless your dog has allergies; consult vet before going with Grain Free.
For Golden's it's important that Taurine and or L-Carnitine are present in the dog food to support heart health in breeds that are prone to cardiac stress; which helps to prevent DCM.
which food did you feed your pup?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are many good quality puppy foods on the market, so what might be great for my puppy might not be right for yours. If you haven't already, I'd do some reading on what makes a quality food (The Whole Dog Journal should have some online articles, and the Dog Aware site also is a great place to read up), and then experiment to see if you can find one that your puppy likes.

RE the DCM thing... So far, it's not known what is causing the increase in reports of DCM. There seems to be a correlation between grain-free foods and DCM... but causation hasn't been proven yet. Until the scientists figure it out, you are probably safest feeding a food that is grain inclusive (but not grain heavy - the majority of the protein should still be coming from meat sources), and ideally, free of legumes (peas, chick peas, etc.).

It's also possible that you just have a puppy that isn't particularly interested in food (rare but not unknown). If she eats things like biscuits and chicken and cheese and training treats with enthusiasm, but turns her nose up at the food, then I'd suspect the food. If she isn't much interested in ANY kind of food/treat, then it may just be that she's not a food-motivated dog.

How much is she actually eating?
okay thank you for the info, and she east everything ahah she loves eating, from mine food to biscuits, and treats it is just her dry food, she eat bits and pieces

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
okay thank you for the info, and she east everything ahah she loves eating, from mine food to biscuits, and treats it is just her dry food, she eat bits and pieces
Then yes, for whatever reason I'd say she doesn't like what you are feeding her. I'd identify a few healthy foods that are AAFCO "certified for all life stages including large breed puppies" and start offering them as training treats until you find one she likes. Your local store might be able to get you some samples so you don't invest in a big bag she won't eat, or ask around to friends with puppies to see if they can let you try a little of what they are feeding. Or maybe go back to what the breeder was feeding, assuming it was a decent food that your puppy would eat... Another option would be to go back to the ProPlan or Wellness and add a little canned or people food (healthy people food - bone broth, canned mackerel, chicken, cottage cheese, cooked egg, etc.) just to make sure she's eating what she needs until you can find a food she likes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then yes, for whatever reason I'd say she doesn't like what you are feeding her. I'd identify a few healthy foods that are AAFCO "certified for all life stages including large breed puppies" and start offering them as training treats until you find one she likes. Your local store might be able to get you some samples so you don't invest in a big bag she won't eat, or ask around to friends with puppies to see if they can let you try a little of what they are feeding. Or maybe go back to what the breeder was feeding, assuming it was a decent food that your puppy would eat... Another option would be to go back to the ProPlan or Wellness and add a little canned or people food (healthy people food - bone broth, canned mackerel, chicken, cottage cheese, cooked egg, etc.) just to make sure she's eating what she needs until you can find a food she likes.
awesome, thank you for the information, i appreciate it

·
Registered
879 Posts
she is she eats everything but her food
That is why I suggested the possibility that she may not be hungry. Eliminate all treats and feed her a quality dry food in the recommended amount. You won't find anything better than Pro Plan IMO and no pup ever starved to death holding out for tastier kibble.
It has been my observation that while some dogs are picky eaters, that behavior can be reduced or increased by how you deal with it. Your pup is probably much smarter than you think, she knows there are treats coming so she doesn't eat her food.
Try feeding a kid liver and onions with a bowl of candy on the table.

·
Super Moderator
1,209 Posts
My old girl lived to be almost 15 on Blue Buffalo wilderness. I immediately thought of that with Molly. I got her the puppy brand, then learned about DCM. I switched her to Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. She has been thriving so well on it and her coat is amazing that I stuck to that through puppy hood. I would be transitioning to PPP now but while staying at my moms for 10 days while I recovered from surgery she ran low on food and my mom got her another large bag of it so we have a bag and a half of it left. I will start her on PPP once we are down to half a bag.

I would probably have started her on PPP right away if I had known then what I know now

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,201 Posts
she is she eats everything but her food
This is the issue. If you break down and feed them people food and they get enough to stave off the hunger, they will just wait for that food. You have to let them get hungry and they will eat. You are being trained by your puppy.

Pro Plan Large breed puppy will be significantly better than the SSS as you need a puppy food and a large breed puppy food for controlled growth and it will also have a vitamin and mineral package suitable for a growing puppy, not an adult dog. Are there better foods out there then Pro Plan, yeah more than likely but the LB puppy food is more than adequate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
DCM really changed the options I'd consider - I'd go with Pro Plan large breed puppy or Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy. Both give you an excellent chance of the right calcium/phosphorus ratio for a growing golden pup, while avoiding DCM.

Most dogs will eat if they are hungry. I agree with the PPs with this. I don't worry too much about my dog "liking" his food, as my bigger concern is his health. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DCM really changed the options I'd consider - I'd go with Pro Plan large breed puppy or Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy. Both give you an excellent chance of the right calcium/phosphorus ratio for a growing golden pup, while avoiding DCM.

Most dogs will eat if they are hungry. I agree with the PPs with this. I don't worry too much about my dog "liking" his food, as my bigger concern is his health. ;)
i will give pro plan large breed a try then !! thanks!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
We started our pup on Royal Canin Golden Retriever puppy, as recommended by the breeder, then last month (pup was 5 month old) the food wasn't available and we had to switch to what was on the shelf, while we still had enough to do a slow transfer. After a month of somewhat loose stool, we will be switching back to Royal canin, just order 2 bags at the time, so we don't get caught again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts