Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Worth her weight in gold.
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Just joined this site... Spark is my third Golden. ^Mulligan^ my first born son had very bad allergies. ^Tucker^ my middle son had none..no skin problems at all...
Spark, my baby boy (not a baby anymore..other then to me)...has now, for the last year..through all seasons. Had very bad flaky dry skin. He does not chew or scratch that much...but it is so flaky. Even day after Oatmeal shampoo bath.. He doesn't get a bath but maybe 4 times a year.. Vet says skin is good...fur is good...
I have heard olive oil...fish oil....evening primrose...omege 3...
Can I use any of those...what do you all use... I'm getting all my ducks in a roll...so I get the good stuff.
thks
sindee:confused:

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Hi Sindee and welcome!
Have you had a thyroid check done? Sometimes low thyroid can cause that. Also, sometimes you need to change the food. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it just might not be the ideal food for your dog.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
when you have the thyroid checked again, consider having it sent to Dr. Jean Dodds for analysis. She is familiar with the breed specific differences in the thyroid results. Goldens who test "low normal" are NOT normal, and need to be supplemented.
Maybe he'd do better on one of the fish (salmon, for ex) based foods.
Just a thought.

I had the thyroid checked last June, it is good. I'll have it all checked again in June again..
Now that Spark is 7...and I lost ^Tucker and Mulligan^ at 8...I worry the closer I get to number 8...

I changed food about 8 months ago..from lite to lamb and rice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I switched Logan to no grain feed as well as food I prepare home... he also gets fish oils 1 or 2 1000mg tabs a day... and he also eats fresh fish and salmon food ...and after his bath I rinse him with ACV.... I also give him 1 vitamin E tab.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts