Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 4 month old 15,.5 lb Ella is obsessed with drinking water. She gets a cup with breakfast and a cup with dinner. If its raining out all she does is lick the grass and puddles and not concentrate on going potty. She wines at the door to go out so we take her and she does nothing but lick the sidewalk. She has also started having accidents in the house, she was / is potty trained to go to the door. Are we not giving her enough water?

·
Registered
382 Posts
We leave bowls full of fresh water out for our dogs 24/7. I would think an active puppy needs more than 2 cups of water per day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 4 month old 15,.5 lb Ella is obsessed with drinking water. She gets a cup with breakfast and a cup with dinner. If its raining out all she does is lick the grass and puddles and not concentrate on going potty. She wines at the door to go out so we take her and she does nothing but lick the sidewalk. She has also started having accidents in the house, she was / is potty trained to go to the door. Are we not giving her enough water?
Fresh water should be available at all times for your pets.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our vet said between one half ounce and one ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. Our older dogs have unlimited access to water. She just seems to have an unnatural obsession.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Our vet said between one half ounce and one ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. Our older dogs have unlimited access to water. She just seems to have an unnatural obsession.
You might want to read this: Is Your Puppy Drinking Enough Water? – American Kennel Club (akc.org)
It’s important not to take this advice too far by restricting your pup’s water during the day. Puppies are more prone to dehydration than adult dogs because of their greater need for water. Restricting water intake can also lead to obsessive behavior like resource guarding. So, even while housetraining, you should give your puppy his regular amount of water during the day.
I'm sure we've all had pups that loved to play in the water bowl. IN fact Molly loves water so much she got moved to a bucket instead of a bowl to discourage water bowl digging/splashing. But we never took it away. We even have a water BOTTLE in her crate so she has access to water and she can't spill or play in it.

If your 4 month old is having accidents in the house with free access to water, the solution isn't to remove the water (though I can understand removing it up to an hour before bedtime to help prevent midnight potty breaks), it's to take the puppy out more often (usually at timed intervals).

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,808 Posts
Well, a number of things jumped out at me.

Our 4 month old 15,.5 lb Ella is obsessed with drinking water.
She's 4 months old and only weighs 15.5 lbs.??? That is very tiny. I'm trying to think back, and I believe all our puppies were between 35-40 lbs. at 4 months. She sounds incredibly small.

She gets a cup with breakfast and a cup with dinner.
Goodness! Why? Why do you not allow her to have free access to water throughout the day? I think that's extremely important for all animals. Please consider giving her a bowl of water she can drink from whenever she wants.

If its raining out all she does is lick the grass and puddles and not concentrate on going potty. She wines at the door to go out so we take her and she does nothing but lick the sidewalk. She has also started having accidents in the house, she was / is potty trained to go to the door. Are we not giving her enough water?
No, you're not giving her enough water. She needs water throughout the day. Do you only drink twice a day?

Our vet said between one half ounce and one ounce of water per pound of body weight per day.
I suppose that's technically correct as an absolute minimum. But it certainly can vary depending on temperature, activity, diet, the kind of food she gets, and a number of other factors. And more water is better than less. Water controls everything from the amount of oxygen your puppy gets, to development, growth, and brain activity.

I would only limit water if she is drinking so much that she is in danger of becoming hyponatremic. And if she's drinking like that, it's likely due to an underlying medical condition, which could include kidney issues, infection of the uterus, diabetes, or Cushing's Disease. This is especially true if the excessive water consumption is paired with an increase in urination. But absent something like that, I suspect her drinking would even out over time if left to drink freely throughout the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts