Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other. Please comment

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie's main source of water is a stream by my house. I dont see any way of stopping her. Just making sure this is OK?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Depends on what other animals are sourcing the water.

Running water is much healthier than standing water, but I still wouldn't let my dogs frequently drink it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just a small stream in the woods. I'm guessing it runs through several towns before it gets to the park we go to. it looks crystal clear and has some small fish

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My guys have been drinking it their whole lives and have never had a problem with it. I try to avoid having them drink mud puddle water especially in town where it could contain gas, oil or antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I am exactly with Oakley'sDad on this.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
It sounds like a healthy stream if it's flowing and there's fish in it. Having it tested would be a plus...for the humans in the neighborhood as well.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My only concern is here out west Giardia is extremely common in freshwater ponds and streams. Since Giardia is a microscopic parasite the water can appear pristine but can still harbor it.

The good news is that if a dog becomes infected with Giardia it is usually less harmful than human infections because canine intestines are less convoluted than ours. Nevertheless, your dog can become a very poopy pup. The bad news is that humans can pick up the parasite from dogs and become very ill.

It might be worthwhile having the water checked for microscopic parasites. Another thought is that even if your stream is safe Gracie may decide to drink from other streams that she encounters that are not as clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts