Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think it is important with youngsters not to tire them out running too many water blinds directly into the wind.
I often start with one long water blind into the wind and call it success and quit. Gradually they get stronger
and stronger with more endurance for big swims, but too much too soon may be counterproductive in terms of fatigue and water attitude. I also use an aquarium thermometer and want the water temperature above 60F...water is typically the warmest in late afternoon.
Good points.
This mutt is not really a youngster, turning 3 years old in the not too distant future. Endurance shouldn't be much of a problem since she is accustomed to our pond/lake, which has 200 yard swims in just about every direction ... nonetheless, I'll keep an eye on that.
Our water temp around here is rarely too cold for training except December - February, and even then we can have warm spells where the water temp is acceptable. In this area, heat is a bigger issue that cold.
I'm hoping that the wind picks up soon so I can start with the new plan!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Over the last few days I've had a handful of opportunities to run water blinds into the wind. On the first one, "The Drifter" didn't do a bad job and stayed fairly close to on-line for the entire distance with only a few handles; the other mutt, however, required A TON of whistles ... and this was on a sight blind! On subsequent blinds, they both got a little better.
Yesterday, we had a strong wind out of the east, so I set up a cross-wind sight blind to see if The Drifter was any better. Well, she seemed to be slightly better, however she still drifted twice as much as the other one. So, there's improvement, although slight!
I'll keep working on it ... stuff like this takes time to learn, after which it takes time to ensure retention.

And it's entirely possible that at a trial, I'll just have to play my slice!

FTGoldens

21 - 23 of 23 Posts