Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would go with raw.. get some from your butcher (with a little meat on them is fine), freeze them and let the puppy chew away.. After a few hours of chewing when its thawed, place in a baggy and freeze again for use another day! Eventually they'll clean off all the bits of meat and tendon/fascia and you can leave it out as a chew..

Popular choice would be raw soup bones - with the marrow in them.. but since Summer has a sensitive tummy we tend to stick to raw bones without marrow, she likes them just as much :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is it ok to roast the bones in the oven before giving them? I want to give my pup raw bones but we live in an appartment and I like her to be able to sit inside when she is chewing on her bones. I noticed at Petco and other places they sell roasted bones so I'm assuming its not an issue

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Bones that are cooked, can break and make sharp pieces that can be a serious problem. I would stay away from those bones. The bone you pictured to me looks cooked.

At the Petsmart near us, they have filled bones. The bones are white usually 4-6 inches long, and the marrow has been replaced with a "meat" substance or peanut butter. Or you can get empty. I don't like the meat substance as it stains carpet. The peanut butter ones my dogs love. They enjoy the bones until long after the stuffing is gone. I just watch that when they get chewed down, they can get so small they can slip down their throat if they hold it wrong, that is when I throw them away.

Deer and elk antlers are GREAT chewing choices. They last longer than real bones too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Where can you get the deer and elk antlers? And are dogs as interested in those as they are with bones? Antlers are edible?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got my six month old pup an antler about a month ago, and it's not worn down at all. They are very durable, and do not splinter like some bones can. I would highly recommend them to anyone. He doesn't go crazy for the antler like he would a rawhide, for instance (tried it once--never again!), but he really does like it. He spends at least 30 minutes a day chewing it.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Reactions: mfreib1

·
Registered
21 Posts
I forgot to mention you can purchase them online. I got mine on amazon. (Make sure to get extra large!) They are more expensive than other chews, but the durability makes it so worth it. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts