Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one that I noticed recently. Toby can be in the middle of a sound sleep (in his favorite chair, on the floor, or on the bed), and he will suddenly wake up with a growl, or whimper in his sleep. If he whimpers and I rub his back a little, he goes quickly back to sleep. I figure he is dreaming about something - maybe the Evil Bunnies taking over the earth?

Anybody else's dog have nightmares?

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I think it's the cutest thing to watch! Their little legs are running and they're growling and barking. Bentley has done it since 6 weeks old, I've always wondered what he even knows about that he could dream about..now I know...Evil Bunnies :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Jesse has done it her whole life. Very cute to watch. She will wimper, growl and bark. Her nose twitches and her legs run.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
When I see them dreaming and their legs moving, I always think of the opening of the Disney animated Cinderella, when Cinderella sees the hound in the kitchen doing the same thing as he dreams about chasing the evil stepmothers cat! :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Cassie dreams on occasion. Good for a chuckle. :)

How can one tell if the dream is a fun/good one, or a nightmare?

I'd hate to interrupt a good dream, but on the flip side, if she's having a nightmare, I'd want to wake her.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Be careful of waking them during a dream/nightmare. I know a lady who got her nose bit off, yes off, because when she touched the dog he must have been dreaming about something bad. She said he was a wonderful dog and never even growled at a soul in his life.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Be careful of waking them during a dream/nightmare. I know a lady who got her nose bit off, yes off, because when she touched the dog he must have been dreaming about something bad. She said he was a wonderful dog and never even growled at a soul in his life.
I've heard of that (or similar) before... that's so sad.

I never touch her to wake her, as I don't want to startle or surprise her. What I'll generally do is gently go "Shhh" or some other soft background noise to gently wake her.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
The only time Liza is really, really relaxed, is when she is sleeping on my lap. No whimpering, no shaking, just a sleeping puppy. Guess she is feeling very, very safe...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow that is good to know not to wake him as Baxter does this as well, and I always gently wake him because it seems like it is a nightmare. I will just make a gentle noise now. Thanks

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Our dogs have done the whole range of things, whimpering, groaning, muffled barking, and running legs. I usually say something reassuring in a soft voice or if they're close by put my hand lightly on their back. I always wonder what they're dreaming. If you've seen a dog do that how could you believe they don't have memories and feelings?

·
Confused Member
503 Posts
I don't wake Bo by physical touch when he is dreaming. I just say his name firmly and a little louder than normal and it wakes him and he stops making noise.

What was really embarrassing was than since he has service credentials, I took him to a class at the local hospital. He he fell asleep during the class and started making that chirping noise.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Here's one that I noticed recently. Toby can be in the middle of a sound sleep (in his favorite chair, on the floor, or on the bed), and he will suddenly wake up with a growl, or whimper in his sleep. If he whimpers and I rub his back a little, he goes quickly back to sleep. I figure he is dreaming about something - maybe the Evil Bunnies taking over the earth?

Anybody else's dog have nightmares?
It's normal. And with the coming Zombie Apocalypse, it's been worse lately.

:)

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
Out of 5 dogs, I have 2 that exhibit their dreams regularly. Sadie is 4 and it always seems like a bad dream because she whimpers and cries, so I wake her up. Alli, who is only 3 months old, just started but I don't think it is a bad dream because she is just suckling and kneading, so I let her sleep. The other dogs may dream but don't usually show signs of it.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Billy howls and runs regularly...he must be warning sheep of impending disaster and trying to herd them home.
Max usually twitches his feet and barks. He's so funny because he has this DEEP bass bark. I can never reach the phone fast enough to record it.

·
Justin
127 Posts
Barley has some dreams where it looks like he is kneading and suckling...this thread reminds me of Bizkit the sleepwalking dog:

Saw an update and it looks like they got him a helmet for his safety when he sleeps :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts