Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this note from her and thought I would share.
Susan: Thanks. Cost for 6 antigens is $93.

We just received the first set of custom-made plates that add another 14 foods last week. We will start clinical trials with these additional foods in November and December and hope to offer two panels of 10 foods each in early 2012. This will be the first panel of 10 foods = beef, corn, wheat, soy, cow’s milk, lamb, venison, chicken, turkey, and white fish. The second panel = hen’s egg, barley, millet, oatmeal, salmon, rabbit, rice, quinoa, potato, and peanut (peanut butter). You’ll be able to order one or both panels simultaneously or sequentially.
v primary food allergens are: corn, wheat, soy, beef, eggs, milk
v secondary food allergens are: lamb, rabbit, venison, chicken, turkey, barley, millet, oatmeal, salmon, white fish, rice, quinoa, potatoes, peanuts
We have not figured out the cost yet but likely will be $125 for one panel of 10 and perhaps $225 for both panels of 10. I have yet to calculate the technician time and reagent costs etc. Each custom made food plate costs $450 dollars and they’ll be 20 of them. We can measure 47 samples on a plate but it has to be done in duplicate – yikes – don’t ask !!

Jean

Guess I will have Rose done again. I can do Jordan as soon as she turn a year old.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
So the cost is going from $93 to $450? Thats a huge increase. If it costs more then $100 for the one with chicken in it I couldnt afford that. For that I could get a full one done through my vet or am I reading it wrong?

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it will be around $125 for one panel or $225 for both. That $450 is a Hemopet cost.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Is this the price for allergy shots?

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, this is a brand new saliva test, much more accurate than the old kind of allergy tests. It tests for the major proteins and several other items found in dog foods. I always test my dogs now, even when they aren't having problems. I figure if I can feed them foods they aren't reactive to, I can save their immune systems for fighting the bigger stuff.

http://www.hemopet.org/files/Nutriscan.pdf

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When one of my older dogs was having chronic staph infections, I had her allergy tested. Turns out she was allergic to everything I was giving her in "Missing Link" (at $35 a month). Once I took her off that and got her on a food she could tolerate (Duck and Potato) she never had another staph infection again. So now I want to make sure anything I am giving them isn't actually hurting them and that's why I test. Make sense???

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thanks! Since it isn't dependent on a blood draw I can order this independently of our vet since our clinic will not do anything through Dr. Dodds. I may do this next year.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Ah, well im sure I get why.

My one vet refused to have my friends Rotties lab work sent out to Dr Dodds because "His testing was just as accurate as hers" finally found another vet who would send it out and low and behold his thyroid was low. The vet who refused to send it out said his thyroid was fine.

Some vets have sticks up their butt and I am not sure why. I am happy I think I found a vet I like and agree with on 90% of things :)

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I am sure she would love the business, but I think she would say when it really needs to be done is when they are having a problem. I am just really proactive. Jordan (6 months old) has already had her thyroid checked and will continue to do so every year. JOY and Erin never had skin problems and I think that was because I was feeding them the right things and caught their low thyroids right away. We spent hundreds on Bae Lee , gave her steroids, which I hate, had her anal sacs removed, etc. all because I was giving her stuff she was allergic to. My vet collected the saliva just to make sure it got done right. They are very excited about this testing and did it while we were already there for a blood draw . They didn't charge me to do it. If anyone is considering it, I would wait until after the first of the year when they will have the additional tests. Dr. Dodds is always happy to answer questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts