Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:Dear all first of all enjoy your day with your lovely goldenssss
Bailey 5.5 months old is a very pretty lady but she never listens to " come here" instructions and keep on doing what she is busy...also she gets nervous and bites when you say "NO" or dont do that. She wants to do want she wants ie digging the gaden , when you say NO DONT DO THAT she show her teeth and when you get closer and say shıshhh and act with your finger she jumps on you and sometimes bitesss,
is this a normal behaviour for a puppy or she is trying to be dominant and to be a leader...how can we avoid it
thanks for the repliers
mcs

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My Sierra can be that way too. When she won't listen and does her own thing, then it's back on leash, and play time is over.
When gets onto a rabbit, she hears or sees nothing else.
I don't scold her when she does come back to me, I don't want her to think it's bad to come to me.
But then we will only go out on leash for a few days, and we practice comes and she's rewarded for coming to me right away, lots of praise and a treat or two.
I'm no expert, this is just what I do.
Karen

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Yes, it is very normal behaviour. Bailey has not yet learned that coming to you is way more rewarding than whatever she is doing and that coming when called is not an option. She also needs to earn leash free time. But, this can be taught in a gentle and kind way.

Some overall comments on the recall are:

1) Do not ever reprimand her for coming to you even if you just had to chase her for 1/2 hour.
2) Do not ever do anything she may consider unpleasant after calling her to you - if you need to give her a pill for instance, you go to her.
3) Carry high value treats or toys with you at all times (or stash them about the house). Practise random recalls and reward heavily if she comes, reward more moderately if she just looks and have a party when she comes running; let her jump up even since you are teaching her to come - you can introduce a sit or other behavior later.
4) While she is (re) learning how all good things happen to dogs who come, keep her on a long line; if need be you can reel her in if she runs away or just ignores you. You can also step on the line to stop her.
5) Once she will do the recall in your kitchen, then you Living Room, then the yard practise in more public places.

The recall (or coming when called) is probably the most important thing you can teach your dog so time needs to be devoted to it. A good DVD to help would be the Really Reliable Recall.

To start you can toss a treat away from you and let her chase and eat it. Then call her in an excited voice and when she gets to you either treat or play with her. Continue the game at least 5 times. Always on lead and work up the distances. Start with perhaps 6 feet and work your way up to say 50 feet. If she does not come, you can simply reel her in. Keep it fast, fun and enjoyable for her.

I would suggest you don't wag or point your finger in Bailey's face; I cannot imagine any young dog who would not either cower or bite in reaction to this. Pick her up if you need to remove her, but better yet pick up the long line and redirect her to her toys.

Good luck :)

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
If my puppy did that, I would sign up for the next obedience class. They can teach you how to handle that sort of behavior and the best ways to do it. Right now, I would work on "Nothing in life is free" method. My Bailey has to work for everything and she respects us for it. Use lots of positive reinforcements and treats for training. I started to train Bailey the day after I brought her home at 8 weeks old and I work with her at least 10 minutes every day for her basic commands. Now I do not need to use food with my training, I use praise and it is working wonderfully.

It's a lot of work and it requires constant effort, but it is all worth it in the end. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.