Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a restaurant where I got some takeout. As soon as I parked the car and got out, I closed my door and the next thing I know I hear this high pitched, I guess you could say, barking coming from behind me. I turn around and see a poodle in the car next to me. Someone brought their dog with them to the restaurant and went in to eat and left the dog there. I guess they could have been getting take out as well, but I seemd to be the only one standing in line for that. When I wasn't getting out of my car or getting back in the car the dog seemed fine just sitting in the front seat, but why wouldn't you just leave your dog at home if you were just going to be leaving it in the car?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
our guys just want to GO - don't want to be left at home. Obie (RIP) would just want to sit in the car all day even if just in the garage.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
As long as the temperatures are within safe limits I take my guys all the time. They love to sit in the truck and people watch. It is useful in the winter too. Two goldens will actually keep the inside of my truck warm.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I take mine all over the place with me as long as the temperature is ok for them to be left in the car. They love to go. I have gone to eat at restaurants and left them in the car (I always save something from my dinner so they don't mind.)

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I took Max out on Friday to my BFs house. We were there for over an hour. I had to stop at the mall, and I knew that already, to buy paints for my songs Pinewood Derby car. Max stayed in the car while I was in the mall for 20 minutes - I saw this great book sale and got caught up. He was sleeping when I got back to the car on my seat, maybe taking comfort in my scent.

I knew that I would have to leave him in the car for a bit but I chose to take him anyways - I was gone for 3 hours total and he only had to spend 20 minutes on his own.

Also when we are taking a long trip and we have to stop to eat, I leave the dogs in the car. If it's summer, I have two sets of keys and leave the car and air conditioning running.

I don't think it's a terrible thing to do.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
The only good thing about winter is the bumpasses get to go with us wherever we go.

I do unbuckle their seat belts, so they couldn't get tangled. But they don't mind waiting for a while.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My dogs are in the car all the time when I stop to eat on the way home from dog shows. If it's warm out I'll get my food to go, but if it's cool they're fine for me to go in and eat.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
As long as the weather isn't too hot, why not? Many dogs love car rides, my Maggie was one. She was always ready to go anytime, anywhere.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs go just about everywhere with us as long as they're not going to be left alone in the car for an extended period of time. They love riding in the car and hate being left home alone. They have waited in the car while we have eaten in a restaurant and stopped for coffee at Starbucks many times without any problems. I think it's perfectly fine. Now, if it were an extremely hot summer day, that's a totally different story. Our dogs stay at home in the AC if it's too hot out.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
When I read the OP, my first reaction was to agree with them. If I know I'm going somewhere that the dogs would have to be in the car alone for any length of time, I don't bring them.. ever. Honestly being able to leave your dog in the car is just not a reality here for much of the year, even in the winter, as we still have nice sunny days and I would never feel comfortable with it as I know my car feels warm after it's been sitting in the sun, even when its not that warm outside. Obviously this is not the case in other parts of the country.

Maybe the level of "acceptance" is just a more regional thing LOL Now I'm curious what part of the country the OP lives? :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are y'all not afraid of someone breaking in & stealing them? I guess they're scarry looking due to size, but most people know goldens aren't the attacking type of dog. We take ours everywhere we can if they can go in with us or to parks, etc, picking up the kids @ school....but that's been it so far.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I actually recently did this with Flora. When I moved to Baton Rouge I wasn't comfortable leaving Flora all alone in the new house (for fear that she might get naughty and destroy something), so when I went out to dinner with some family I found a fairly secluded part of the restaurant's parking lot cracked the windows (it was around 35 degrees outside) and left her plenty of water to drink. We were in the restaurant for 3 hours and when I got back outside she was fast asleep!

I don't think it's a terrible thing to do unless you live somewhere where it's too hot, or if you are seriously fearful that someone might steal your dog.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
When we travel and are away from home, I won't leave the dogs in the hotel by themselves, so yes, they will on occasion be hanging out in the car while we eat in a restaurant. I can't say it's my favorite thing to do, but I'd rather know where they are and be able to check on them than heaven forbid there be a fire or something in the hotel while they are stuck in the room.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I saw the dog in the car tonight, I would just feel uncomfortable doing that with Jacey. I think I'd be really anxious and just eat really fast so I can get back out to the car so she wouldn't just have to sit in there by herself for very long.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I cant even say "R-I-D-E" or "C-A-R" without major puppy dances breaking out!
Many times they don't get out of the car, but they do get to see, listen and smell the world around them.

I would caution against projecting your feelings of what the experience means onto your dog....

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
if temps permit ok. But we find a seat close to a window and try and park so they can see us if necessary - or we can see them.

·
Golden Retriever Fanatic!
135 Posts
I would never do it, since temps here are hot year long. I wouldn't even stay in the car without the AC on for 30 seconds. It gets hot that fast.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
When we travel and are away from home, I won't leave the dogs in the hotel by themselves, so yes, they will on occasion be hanging out in the car while we eat in a restaurant. I can't say it's my favorite thing to do, but I'd rather know where they are and be able to check on them than heaven forbid there be a fire or something in the hotel while they are stuck in the room.
That's what I was going to say. I don't crate my dogs and I wouldn't want to leave them in a hotel room because most of them require the dogs be crated. Plus my Jasmine can be a barker when she hears odd noises, like you hear in hotel rooms. So I take them with me, weather permitting. If the weather is bad or it's too hot, then we order delivery.

I used to worry about someone breaking in and stealing them, just because I am paranoid that way. Not any more. Jasmine and Jasper will bark if a stranger comes up to the car and because Jasmine is black, people are naturally intimidated by her.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'll take mine with me if the weather is good. 2 years ago when I was fostering a little maltese puppy, I joined a maltese forum. One of the ladies on there was talking about how she would take her maltese with her everywhere, in a bag that looked like a purse. This woman took her dog into Red Lobster! Sorry, but I think that's ridiculous. If you're dog cannot stay home alone long enough for you to go to a restaurant to eat dinner, you have a problem. Not everyone likes dogs, or wants dogs where they are eating. I don't mind, of course, but I think thats just taking it a little too far.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I have a friend who takes her dog everywhere. She leaves him in the car for several hours. He has water etc but she does it sometimes in weather that I consider too warm and will leave the windows down!!!! Freaks me out. I have said something so there is nothing else I can do.

When we came out of a movie theater yesterday, we saw a dog in a car!!

Mary, I do project my feelings on my dogs. They are always watching for me when I have left them for a short time in the car(and I feel bad for them). I used to take them much more than I do now. We do always take them with us on vacation with us and we have a cabin so they feel at home there if we go out for dinner. When we go in the park etc we always take them along.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts