Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't forget, as the old year ends and the new one begins, to go through your medicine cabinet and first aid kits and throw out the expired stuff and replace if needed!

One item to make sure to replace--opened bottles hydrogen peroxide, just in case you need to use it to induce vomiting (on advice of a vet or poison control center of course) in your dogs for those eating indiscretions. Hydrogen peroxide loses efficacy once the bottle is opened.

I'm carrying it a step further and cleaning out the fridge, freezer and pantry to get rid of the old stuff.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
The hydrogen peroxide I will agree with (as it is a remedy for skunk sprayed dogs as well as an emetic when they have swallowed something they can throw back up without injury) but I read (several places) that those expiration dates on medicines are way earlier than they need to be (if they have been stored properly). Maybe look online before tossing to see if you can find something that tells how long that particular medicine is actually good for?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hydrogen peroxide I will agree with (as it is a remedy for skunk sprayed dogs as well as an emetic when they have swallowed something they can throw back up without injury) but I read (several places) that those expiration dates on medicines are way earlier than they need to be (if they have been stored properly). Maybe look online before tossing to see if you can find something that tells how long that particular medicine is actually good for?
Well, last year I threw some things out of my medicine cabinet from the 90s--does that qualify as expired? How about pre-2007 or so?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts