Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience with this breeder out of upstate NY? I have an opportunity at a pick from their " Shayla x Dozer" litter. They are $3,000 and go home at 7 weeks with vaccination and deworming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, she mentioned the sire has fathered about 30 litters.. not sure if that is too many if that’s such a thing, 30 just sounds like a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I wouldn't touch this breeding. There are no elbow clearances on Shayla or Dozer. Dozer has two offspring listed on OFA with bilateral elbow disease. The eyes on both are out of date. There are red flags on the breeders website. Using the term "English Cream" is the easiest one to spot. The elbows make it not worth me looking any further. Absolutely not $3000 puppies.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Agree - even beyond the lack of full clearances there are "red flags" all over this site. I suppose you could do worse, but you could also do MUCH better for the same or less money...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mind elaborating on the red flags from the site other than the term “English cream” being used

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
No no no no no. Semi-local to me. Visited them way before I knew what to look for in a reputable breeder. Dogs live full time in kennels, puppies raised in pens on raised flooring. He “doesn’t believe” in elbow testing, when I was there they had an underaged breeding between Dozer and a bitch who was also underaged that they claimed “couldn’t be AKC registered because Dozer and and Dam were not health tested…(when really thinking about it they just didn’t want a paper trail of their underaged breeding) and these puppies were still $2500. Wouldn’t recommend. I also have heard from other NY breeders who know of them, they they will send puppies home prior to 8 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Mind elaborating on the red flags from the site other than the term “English cream” being used
Sure!
1. They charge more for English Creams
2. Puppies are placed "first come, first served" (most reputable breeders place puppies based on the best home match - matching puppy personality to owner lifestyle, etc.)
3. Health guarantee is based only on any issues found in the first 72 hours, and then the only remedy is to return the puppy to the breeder
4. I'm not seeing anything on the website that would indicate that they do any kind of screening for puppy buyers. Most reputable breeders have an extensive questionnaire followed up by at least a phone conversation if not a face to face "interview." As far as I can tell from the website, they only care about who has given them a deposit.
5. Not only are "Dozer's" clearances spotty, but most of the dogs behind him are too (first dog with full clearances on OFA is a single grandparent - who is also the only grandparent in the OFA database, so I would assume that the other three grandparents didn't have clearances)
6. Per OFA, Dozer's date of birth is 7/15/17. The first puppy he sired (that is in OFA) was born on 10/7/18 (so Dozer was barely a year old and couldn't have had final hip or elbow clearances before being bred). Their other dog, Otis, also appears to have fathered his first litter before he turned two.
7. Otis's sire comes from the infamous "Tramin" kennels in Ukraine (do a search here on the Forum to find out why that may be concerning)
8. They claim "championship pedigrees with several generations of health clearances" and yet there is no evidence they show or title their dogs, and looking just at "Dozer's" listing (which should be the most impressive since they are using him for stud) not only are his clearances either incomplete or inadequate, but parents and siblings and offspring are spotty as well, and you have to go back several generations before you see any "Championships"
9. This may be my personal preference, but I wouldn't want to get my dog from someone who apparently houses and raises them in a "kennel facility."

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts