Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post ever. I have a 13 month old male (Angus) and 6 year old female (Heather). They get along well, include some very rough wrestling several times a day. Recently the male has been dominating (or trying too) by blocking the older female from passage around the house and when going upstairs. Sometimes he bites the heavy fur near her tail and pulls her sideways. He generally ends up on top of her biting her again heavy fur near neck. This turns into a wrestling match. She has the ability to resist but doesn't seem to mind. I assume this is teen age stuff on the part of Angus as he is also antsy in general just now. Anybody have any advice? Should wife and I make any attempt to curtail this activity or is it natural growing up? They both have completely free rein in the house, more or less democracy among us.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My sibe is that way with our two females, he mostly picks on Layla...I am not sure they outgrow it. We even consulted a behaviorist about it. He does not do it in the house, but outside he is terrible, doesn't let them pass, bites at their feet and necks - he can get downright mean with his bullying. We have been dealing with this for almost a year, it has not gotten any better...they are not allowed out in the yard unsupervised for this reason. I wish I could tell you how to stop it, but nothing we have tried seems to work. We keep him on a long lead while we are out playing, and give the lead a snap when he starts bullying, with a loud NO. It has gotten so bad recently that he does not even get a warning anymore - if I have to snap one time, he immediately goes inside. I feel mean, but nothing seems to get through to him..

good luck,

Julie

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
As long as you are not uncomfortable with their interaction it's usually best to let them work it out. If one is being bullied consistently I would put a stop to it. Ultimately it is up to you to decide what you want to allow and stop it at the point you decide it's gone far enough.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
My 2 play fight all the time it's me i have to watch or the knock me over :uhoh: its not so bad in the field its went its indoors but they love each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have a feeling she will lay the smackdown on him soon. My lab/golden mix is my alpha girl, but she was incredibly tolerant of Danny and his bratty antics at that age. One day she turned around, roared at him and slammed him to the floor. He stopped being a total brat with her after that. She was 6, almost 7 at the time.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Sounds like bullying. I wouldn't allow it. Interrupt it and if he can't settle down and keep to himself, physically separate them for a while. Not good for him to practice and no fun for her to be bullied. JMO.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I've learned not to allow bullying. I want my dogs to know I will correct the behavior, I don't want them to get to the point that they feel like they have to correct the other dog. Some dogs are capable of "working it out" themselves just fine, but you don't want to get into a situation where your female has once and for all had enough and gets defensive every time male comes around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts