Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oatmeal's Mommy
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering what everyone's knowledge is of Pooping and Scooping on lawns...

Unfortunately my guy will only go on grass. So when I take him on walks during the morning he will obviously find a place to do his business on people's lawns. I always pick up after him and this morning there was a guy who asked me (nicely and not nicely...long story) to not let my dog go on his lawn. I am more than happy to avoid his place in the future, but I was wondering if there is a law against this? I live in Markham, Ontario.

Also, is there a difference in the lawn closest to the house and if its sectioned off by a sidewalk? Is this still their property or is this the city's?

I tried to look it up online, but I also wanted to see people's opinions here!

Thanks in advance =)

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Does he have a "potty" word? I use "hurry up" with my guys. (It just sounds nicer than "go poop", etc.).
When I lived in the type of area you do, I would take my guys out on my own lawn and tell them "hurry up". They were not allowed to go for a walk until they had already done their business.
That way, I didn't have to carry a stinky poop filled bag with me, and I didn't have to worry about them using the neighbors' lawns. The dogs figure it out pretty fast.
Even now, I live out on 10 acres, if we're going somewhere I put Tito out and tell him to "hurry up" and he knows he is NOT getting into that car until he has pooped!

·
Oatmeal's Mommy
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he does...but I like that he goes out to do it so that he will walk! I get lazy sometimes if he just does it in the yard...and he goes in the yard during the day when I'm at work and he will get his walk only in the mornings before I leave.

So this is the only time he will get his daily walk. He does get to run around in the yard during the day, but a real walk in the mornings...and I find that when he does go in the yard he doesnt really do it all! LOL like if he pees it will only be brief and something that like he does quickly to get it over with so that he can go out! But when we walk in the morning he takes his time and all...

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I never allow my dogs to poo on anyone's lawn, ever. And quite frankly I would also be upset if I saw another dog doing it on my lawn.
There's so much to worry about with strange dogs poo, do they have worms? Which could still be in the grass after it's picked up. Do they have an illness that remains in the grass? These questions along with the fact that I think it's rude is why my dogs poo at home.

There has been a time or two over the years that Ky wanted to do her business while on the walk. In that case I make sure to walk her on the pavement only and we hurry home.
Good luck.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
no potty in teh yard....no walk or car ride....they learn pretty darn quick.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Where I live, the easement between the sidewalk and the street (as well as two feet from the sidewalk into the house lawn) are legally the city's property but the homeowner is to maintain it.

Out of my 3, Spip the Lab will poop on a walk even though she has already gone in the yard right before. I do not let them set foot on the main part of lawns (well puppy Col is a work in progress because she still zigs and zags a bit) but allow it on the easement by the street, pick up every time and carry it home. Flem does nothing out of the backyard and so far puppy Col only takes one pee (easement also).

I see no problem letting him go on the easement if you pick up.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
In my Ontario town, the section of grass between the road and sidewalk is city property but home owners are required to take care of it.

I try not to let my dogs poop on peoples yards but honestly, when you've got no where else to walk to you can't just make your dog hold it until a certain spot.

Maybe just try to avoid that guys yard.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My guys go outside in the backyard every morning before walks; however, both tend to go again while walking, so we try to get them to go in a public area or on sidewalks if at all possible. We have limited success, but we try. I have a poop bag in my pocket at the get go and scoop immediately. We have security cameras in my immediate neighborhood- if anyone were monitoring they'd see a lot of pooping right in front of the camera on the street- that gets scooped too!

The area you describe between the street and the sidewalk is called a parkway here and that is owned by the property owner with easements for the sidewalk to the city-- here in Dallas at least. I'm not sure about other areas.

I've watched dogs poop in our front yard and I'm OK with it as long as the owners scoop it up. If not, I've gone out on a couple of occasions and given them a poop bag and asked them to please scoop. We also keep our front door open so the boys can look out the storm door. Toby is a notorious barker and people usually take their dogs across the street, where there is a lot of pooping and no scooping in that neighbor's yard.

If someone asked you not to let your dog do that in the future, I'd try to respect those wishes. I would think urinating or marking in the yard might cause more damage...

·
Oatmeal's Mommy
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always pick up and honestly today was the first time he had decided to go on the immediate yard of the guy. I usually only let him even walk on the area closest to the road. The easement as you guys have called it. I would think that it's safe to assume that all laws in Ontario are the same. Peterborough isnt too far away! =)

Oatmeal would go in the yard, but is not fully done unless he walks. No one is awake for a period of time from when I leave for work, so I would like him to finish completely and be more comfortable until someone else wakes up.

I will respect that people do not like dogs going on their lawns, so I will only allow him to even walk on the sidewalk/easement from now on. He's just so curious at times and wants to sniff EVERYTHING!!! =)

Thanks for everyone's input!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ben takes about 30 minutes of walking before he will do his business, and he won't go in the street, so he always poos on someone's lawn, unless we're in the mountains. We don't have a fenced yard and so he goes while on his morning walk. We always clean up. I do try to rush past houses where people are outside, and am more likely to linger at houses that have dogs themselves or that are vacant. I've only once had someone say something to me, and that was years ago.

·
Kate
20,605 Posts
Do not allow your dog to walk on people's lawns. That way if poop happens, it will be on the road - where it's easier to clean up.

I train my guys to poop/pee on command. And I really discourage the from pooping during walks. They do hold it until we get home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts