Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I recently moved in together so between us we have 3 dogs; 2 goldens and 1 lab/doberman mix. The dogs are loud enough at night that I wake up 3-4 times at least from things that they're doing. Levi will scratch at his collar so the tags shake, Levi has really itchy skin so some nights he's scratching quite a bit, Lili has many limpomas (she's 15 ;)) that she will get to licking, and Daisy is the guard dog of the group and will run off barking during the night. I love having the dogs in the bedroom with us and I'd feel awful that we're gone at work during the day and then lock them away from us so I'd like to do something besides put them in another room. I"ll be removing Levi's collar at night, currently he's getting a ketochlor bath 1x week and i may need to bump up the frequency with it getting warmer and give him some benedryl, but i'm at a loss for what to do about Lili's licking and Daisy's grumbles and growls. I can try ear plugs but I don't know how I'd hear my alarm and I'm sure my boyfriend would not appreciate waking me up at 4:15 every day, lol!

What does everyone else do with their dogs at night and do they keep you up too?? I'm so sleepy!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I only have two pups but they do sleep in our room with us at night. I put a gate at our bedroom door which keeps them from running downstairs barking at every noise they hear. I also have a fan on in the room for white noise. The collars do come off...that drives me crazy, too!

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
I can only commiserate with you; sorry I don’t have a solution! Boswell used to lick his paws in a sort of slow, steady rhythm during the night. It used to keep my DH awake, but I found it sort of soothing and had no trouble sleeping through it :p:

Now it’s the younger puppy who keeps us awake. Watson is an active sleeper, and every time he turns around, he rattles his crate like a truck going over a bump.

Our dogs don’t wear collars in the house, so we haven’t had trouble with noisy tags. But when my son was home from college and coming in late at night, Pippa always woke up and barked. I had a hard time with that.

Reactions: Huggenkiss

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I second having a fan to help mute the noise. I am a light sleeper, so much so that I had to take the laminate flooring up in our bedroom and carpet because as the dogs moved around, they would wake me up. My dogs also don't sleep with collars on, actually, they don't wear them at all in the house. The idea of a baby gate set up so the "guard" dog doesn't run after every noise she hears is a good one, too.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Honestly, I think it's just something you'll have to get used to.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Losing the collar will be a definite help. To the one who licks.. do you ever tell her to stop? Anytime my dog is licking, be it a broken nail or irritated pad, if I just say, "Tee... don't lick" she will stop. I never trained it, I think it's more just like snapping them out of it in the moment.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Losing the collar will be a definite help. To the one who licks.. do you ever tell her to stop? Anytime my dog is licking, be it a broken nail or irritated pad, if I just say, "Tee... don't lick" she will stop. I never trained it, I think it's more just like snapping them out of it in the moment.
I agree--I think Boswell almost got into a kind of hypnotic trance. Often if we would just ask him to stop he’d blink and look up like, “Huh?” and then go to sleep.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The BF and I have four dogs between us. We all sleep in the same bedroom. Heidi uses her tags to wake us up if she wants attention (like to get on the bed), and snores like a cannon. Lucy likes to lick the bed cover. They are all active dreamers so we have the tail thumping, rabbit chasing, squeaks, growls and barks.

When it gets bad, the collars come off, we tell Lucy to "stop licking", gently wake Jess out of her dream by calling her name, and life goes on. You get used to it. When they're not around, I can't sleep.

And, for the itching, try generic Claritin, crushed in the food, once a day. Works wonders for the itching until you find out the cause.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I was ok when it was just Levi and I'm hoping I get used to it but right now is just tough. I was really tired and grumpy this morning from getting up once to put Levi in another room and twice to tell Daisy to settle down. It's great birth control; not sure how all you parents do it- the dogs are hard enough.

I can't just tell Lili to stop because she is 15 and seems to totally zone out; I have to get out of bed and walk over to her. Seems like they lose all rules at that age, lol. I'm just glad she's happy and functioning well.

From what the vet and I can figure out Levi's allergies are environmental. If we're out in the grass or if he even lays in the yard he gets super itchy. He was a rescue and in awful shape with skin infections, ear infections, ect when I got him and he's just really really sensitive and I think it's because of how sick he was when i got him. (all sorts of fungal and yeast stuff going on; almost all bald on his tummy and his skin turned black too!) He's on grain free and by trial and error it doesn't seem like he's allergic to any of the proteins. And he gets the medicated baths and maleotic acid ear wash at least weekly and he'll still get a bit itchy.

So plan going forward- Turn the fan up higher, gate the dogs in, take the collars off, allergy medicate Levi, and be glad Lili is awake doing something ;)

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I was ok when it was just Levi and I'm hoping I get used to it but right now is just tough. I was really tired and grumpy this morning from getting up once to put Levi in another room and twice to tell Daisy to settle down. It's great birth control; not sure how all you parents do it- the dogs are hard enough.

I can't just tell Lili to stop because she is 15 and seems to totally zone out; I have to get out of bed and walk over to her. Seems like they lose all rules at that age, lol. I'm just glad she's happy and functioning well.

From what the vet and I can figure out Levi's allergies are environmental. If we're out in the grass or if he even lays in the yard he gets super itchy. He was a rescue and in awful shape with skin infections, ear infections, ect when I got him and he's just really really sensitive and I think it's because of how sick he was when i got him. (all sorts of fungal and yeast stuff going on; almost all bald on his tummy and his skin turned black too!) He's on grain free and by trial and error it doesn't seem like he's allergic to any of the proteins. And he gets the medicated baths and maleotic acid ear wash at least weekly and he'll still get a bit itchy.

So plan going forward- Turn the fan up higher, gate the dogs in, take the collars off, allergy medicate Levi, and be glad Lili is awake doing something ;)
I like your solution.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If it helps...I wear ear plugs at night (hubby snores) and I can set my alarm loud enough to hear it through my ear plugs (turn my iPhone ringer most of the way up). I guess it depends on how heavy of a sleeper you are, I don't need a ton of noise to wake me up so the amount that i can hear my alarm through my ear plugs is good enough.

You could maybe get some ear plugs and try them on the weekend when it isn't a problem if you sleep through an alarm. Then you can see if they would be a problem or not. I <3 my ear plugs:).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts