Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog Dudley is 13 years old. He's always had good health and only needed to go to the vet once in his whole life and that was for a minor cut on his paw.

Over the past week or so I have noticed his back legs kicking out. This happens when I touch (even sightly) the spinal area on his back, he almost seizes up if that makes sense and then the leg will kick. Its also happens occasionally when he's standing and also whilst he's lying down and NOT being touched. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, he is eating, sleeping, walking and going to the toilet normally. In fact he is virtually skipping down the road when we take him for walks. :)

We have just moved house which was a huge change for him as he's only ever known one house his whole life. The flooring is laminate and much slippier than our old house so Dudley slipped quite a lot the first week we lived here. Also the stairs are much steeper and he did struggle at first. So I am wondering whether he may have damaged a nerve or disc etc in his back from slipping? Or god forbid due to his age he might be suffering from a spinal tumor or something? It could also be arthritis too I suppose.

As i'm sure you'll understand i'm so worried about him as he is part of the family and it would be very traumatic if something were to happen to him.We have booked an appointment with the vet for Saturday but i'm so worried that I wanted to see if anyone has had similar problems with their Retriever. I would rather be prepared before we go to the vets in case they tell us its something really serious.

Any response would be really appreciated, I feel sick with worry about him, I think its because he's been fine for so long that when you notice something wrong its really scary.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I had an elderly Great Pyrenees that started loosing the strength in his back legs. He would slide on the laminate floor, but did fine on the tile or grass. Once I got him up, he could walk fine. He would have bad days and I would give him buffered aspirin for a couple days, and then he would improve. I think this is very common for elderly larger breed dogs. I hope the vet can help you.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,575 Posts
He probably has some nerves pinching in his back. Unfortunately it is likely due to a lifetime of wear and tear. Over the years little bumps and scrapes add up, it's part of getting old.

·
Registered
17,869 Posts
I have a 13.5 year old golden who experiences the same thing. As the others have said I too believe it is a sign of old age, our boy will go for weeks without any problems and then things occur again. Glad you have decided to see your vet to rule anything else out. Good luck and I hope you have many more happy times together!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Maybe try a chiropractor? Sydney (who is only four mind you) has had some sensitivity in her back and an adjustment fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts