Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I grew up with dogs. Mike was my Beagle and I loved him dearly but one day dad said "He has to go live on a farm where he can run". To this day I don't know if that was true. Mom always had poodles.

3 of my kids have dogs but my oldest daughter only has cats, her husband doesn't like dogs.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Very interesting question!

In my family, I really think that the love of animals has been passed down in the generations. I don't know much about my great grandparents, but I've seen pictures of them with dogs, but my grandmother, who passed away a couple of months ago, was like an amateur veterinarian. She would bring hurt or stray animals home and nurse them back to health, and my grandparents also owned their own animals as well, always a dog and a cat and when one passed away, they always got another. Even later in my grandmothers life when she was suffering from alzheimers, she would spend all of her money sending checks to animal organizations, like save the whales, and other organizations like that. So my mom and aunt grew up with a multitude of animals coming in and out of their home, and then us kids were raised with animals as well. When I was born we had a cat in the house, and then I think when I was 2 or so we got a dog, and ever since then we always had a dog and cat in the house.

It was kind of interesting because my now husband did not grow up around animals at all. His parents never let him get a dog, which he always wanted, so when we started dating I got a cat, and then he ended up getting a cat, and then we got a dog together, so I think I've turned him into an animal person. When our dog passed away last year, I had a really hard time living without a dog for the few months we did and I was so excited when Champ finally came home. I just cannot imagine my life without animals and I'm sure, well I hope, my kids will also be the same way.

·
Super Moderator
16,915 Posts
Barnaby is my first dog. As a child and into adulthood I always wanted a dog SO much. I can't imagine not having a dog in my life now or in the future, he has taught me so much, I couldn't love anything more. Great thread!

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Very interesting question!

In my family, I really think that the love of animals has been passed down in the generations. I don't know much about my great grandparents, but I've seen pictures of them with dogs, but my grandmother, who passed away a couple of months ago, was like an amateur veterinarian. She would bring hurt or stray animals home and nurse them back to health, and my grandparents also owned their own animals as well, always a dog and a cat and when one passed away, they always got another. Even later in my grandmothers life when she was suffering from alzheimers, she would spend all of her money sending checks to animal organizations, like save the whales, and other organizations like that. So my mom and aunt grew up with a multitude of animals coming in and out of their home, and then us kids were raised with animals as well. When I was born we had a cat in the house, and then I think when I was 2 or so we got a dog, and ever since then we always had a dog and cat in the house.

It was kind of interesting because my now husband did not grow up around animals at all. His parents never let him get a dog, which he always wanted, so when we started dating I got a cat, and then he ended up getting a cat, and then we got a dog together, so I think I've turned him into an animal person. When our dog passed away last year, I had a really hard time living without a dog for the few months we did and I was so excited when Champ finally came home. I just cannot imagine my life without animals and I'm sure, well I hope, my kids will also be the same way.
I think most people, like your husband, when given the chance become dog people. It's awfully hard to turn down those loving eyes looking up at you like you're the most important person in the world. But I wonder what it is about kids...it seems so many kids want dogs at an early age even when they've had no real contact with them? Maybe they look at it as having another friend that's always there for them...or maybe they've just been watching a lot of Lassie on the tube. ;)

Pete & Woody

·
Administrator
16,443 Posts
Growing up my sister and I were raised around dogs but they were mostly my mother's dogs and they were miniature poodles. Both my parents when they were younger were raised with dogs and cats as well. I always enjoyed being around animals and even went to college for animal science - pre veterinarian. My first real ownership of pets was not until I was 36 years old and I got two kittens from the SPCA. I had just bought my house and wanted to finally have some sort of pets. Three years later I wanted to finally get a dog of my own and I researched for a breed that best fit what I was looking for so I decided on getting a Golden Retriever puppy. I had never known anyone owning a golden retriever when I was growing up. I was just hoping my research on the breed was correct and I took the chance and bought the pup (Lyndi). Lyndi far exceeded my expectations and so I was hooked. I cannot imagine not having a dog in my life. My sister currently has about 8 dogs in her home but 4 of them she is fostering for a rescue. Neither my sister or I have children but if we did I'm sure there would be dogs in their lives as well.

·
and Kaylee
270 Posts
I had a dog growing up Barney the English Setter he had cancer when I was 11 and had to go to the bridge. My Mum couldn't deal with owning another pup after her heart dog passed. When I was 16 the family raised 2 guide dog pups a yellow lab Debbie who failed the tests because she had severe allergies and Shadow the black lab who failed because he was anxious. We had to give them up to loving families when they failed the tests and the whole family was heart broken. In the years between dogs we had our cats.

My partner pleaded with his parents for 5 years before he got a dog a lovely beagle named Sasha. She crossed the bridge a couple of years ago.

My parents only have a cat right now who is 16 and an outside cat who fights. No one expected him to survive as long as he has. He was originally a stray my dad and I feed and taught to use the cat door then had fixed.

My brother has 2 kittens which I fostered from a rescue group with their adopted mum and 3 step siblings.

My parents inlaw have no animals, they only had a dog because she was for my partner.

My brother in law has a cat.

My sister in law has no animals.

And My partner and I have our 2 lovely goldens and our 2 lovely rescue cats. I could never live without animals. During my childhood I had 2 pink and grey Galahs, 3 rabbits, 3 dogs, 3 cats and 2 hermit crabs. I also wanted more!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Embarrassed to say had 2 dogs growing up for about 2 weeks or so until my father rehomed them. 1st I was so young I don't remember, 2nd my moms friend took in because dad couldn't take barking. Mom had wanted dogs. Great guy, heartless actions. Dogs were better off. His loss. Got a dog when me and hubby bought house- he wanted as had grown up with a dog, I didn't get it. Thought dog should get my slippers and then lie down. There were times I wanted to give him away as a puppy. The sins of the father. I've learned and grown a lot in those 13 years Devastated when my first golden boy passed away. Couldn't live with without the furry love so sharing our hearts again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
We had a Cocker Spaniel when I was real young, Blondie. She was hit by a car, I don't remember how old she was. Then we had a daschund, Snitzel that I really loved. My dad took him to the pound when he and my Mom had an argument. Then we had a miniature poodle, Monique. We always had cats growing up.

When I left home at 18 for California, I had cats and really never thought of having a dog. After I had been married for about 5 years, I started noticing Goldens when I was walking. I told my husband that I thought I'd like to have one, because they were always smiling. They would also lean toward their owners when they were walking. My husband found Golda at the animal Shelter in 1995. We've had goldens ever since.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
When my parents adopted my sister and I and brought us home they had a dog named Bonnie. No matter how hard dad tried to prevent it inevitably she'd get pregnant and Bev and I would have puppies to play with in the wintertime (spaying and neutering weren't common in that day and age).

When I was about 12 Beverly brought home a mutt puppy we named Snooks. He was a great dog and a fantastic outfielder for our softball games. Bonnie died from old age about a year after Snooks came home.

This is Beverly and I with Bonnie and her pups shortly after we were brought home for adoption:

The late great Beverly with Snooks:

As adults, Beverly had labs and I've had a mutt and 4 golden retrievers

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was the youngest of 7 kids growing up with the eldest being 17 years older. My parents bought them a German Shepard when they were growing up. He passed when I was 1 and it was so hard for my parents, they couldnt bear to get another one. But when I was young, my father instilled in me a deep love of animals - he was constantly bringing in stray cats - at one point, we had 5 in our tiny house :) I'll never forget that because he is such a rough and burly guy, but the look on his face when he saw an animal in need would just melt your heart :)
When I was 8, we had neighbors who had 2 miniature schnauzers, Jenny and Rex. I would dog sit all the time for them and I absolutely adored them. One day, we found out that they had moved and left the dogs in their metal shed! It was absolutely awful! Of course, that same day, I finally got my wish of owning not just 1 dog, but 2 :) Happiest day of my life!
For 8 years I had my best friends...
So, of course I've always known I would have multiple animals - I just had to convince my husband, who wasn't as in love with animals as I was. But along came Marley and she has definitely made a lover out of him :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
There has never been a point in my entire life from when my parents brought me home from the hospital that there hasn't been a dog in my life :)
This!

Parents had two Goldens that were sisters from the day I was born. They both lived to 14 and after passing waited a few months and got yet another Golden. Once I moved out on my own and married my wife we got a dog (my lab kona who is no longer with us) and a year later got our Golden Bailey. I always grew up with dogs in the house and couldn't imagine it any other way. I have a 6 month old son at home now and can't wait to see him grow up with my Golden. I made sure to slowly introduce them as soon as I could so they both get use to each other.

Every kid needs a dog growing up:) No matter how busy the parents day gets the dog will always be there :)

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
For the true locals here dogs are a part of our culture.....
I was thinking about this but you worded it so well. I agree that dogs are very much a part of our culture in the South, a big part of who we are. I'm sure it's that way in other parts of the U.S. where people spend a lot of time outdoors, but they seem to have a special place here. Certainly the stories here are unique. Garden and Gun magazine has a column each month devoted solely to dog stories told by Southerners. It's the first thing I read.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts