Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have done a lot of travelling around the country, staying and hiking in National Parks. That was before we got Ben. In doing some research for a trip next month, I've discovered that dogs are not allowed on the trails in a lot of NPs. That means we'll need to completely rethink our plans.

What has your experience been with hiking with dogs in national and state parks? Since we go to Canada as well - can you Canadians chip in as well? How about the European experience?

I know dogs are allowed to hike in Shenandoah NP, but not in the Grand Canyon, Big Bend, Saguaro, the Smokies, and Yosemite. I assume they aren't allowed at Denali, since I've never seen any dogs on the buses. Does anyone know any other National Parks that do allow dogs to hike in the backcountry?

As to state parks, I know it's kind of a mixed bag. Pennsylvania allows dogs to hike in all the parks, AFAIK, but not necessarily to camp at all campgrounds. New York seems to be dog friendly, at least the parks we've camped in. The Florida Parks we've visited allowed dogs to hike, except on the beaches. Baxter SP in Maine doesn't allow dogs on the trails. I think some California Parks don't allow dogs (i.e. Burney Falls) but perhaps some do?

Anyhow, for all of us who love to travel with our dogs - inquiring minds need to know.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It's hit or miss. For the most part, no dogs on trails in the national parks. However, they are allowed on the Pacific Crest Trail in Rainier, on the South Rim Trail at the Grand Canyon, on the valley trail at Yosemite. When we go to Yellowstone, we will kennel our dog for a few days while we're in the park. I wouldn't want him wandering around the hot pools anyway.

We live in Washington, dogs are allowed everywhere in the state parks. Or rather, I haven't come across a restriction yet. Other states, I have no idea.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Before I got Molly my bf and I were national park "junkies" as well. I am deeply disappointed that dogs are not allowed on NP trails but I understand the reasoning. I am planning a trip to Alberta and I believe dogs ARE allowed on most trails in Banff NP. I can't wait.

All the state parks and national forests I have been to so far allow dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
ontario parks in canada are great because the only place that is dog free are Main beaches, which dont include the unofficial more secluded ones, our favorite parks are Killbear (afew trails, beaches, not too wavy, canadian shield so lots of unofficial forested and rocky areas to go) Awenda (dunes, and lots of trails) , Pelee Point (If your dogs likes birds he will be infatuated with the place, also lots of trails and swimming opportunities) manatulen island (swimming and trails) and kilarney (only if your going wilderness camping)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
They're not allowed on the trails in Rocky Mt NP. I think most Colorado state parks are pretty pet friendly, but many require leashes. That being said, as a Colorado resident, I prefer hiking in some of the state's national forests. Much, much less crowded than Rocky and dogs can be off-leash on many of the trails. There are also some nice hikes on the outskirts of RMNP that are dog friendly and lots of good Internet and print resources to point them out. Many towns are also super dog friendly too - we visited Steamboat Springs in the summer and Kea was allowed to ride the gondola with us to the top of the mountain and hike on the trails there. We used to live in Pennsylvania, and I would say as a whole Colorado is much more dog friendly (aside from the national park).

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Well I can tell you that dogs are allowed at Itasca State Park in MN. When I left International Falls 17yrs ago you could take dogs into Voyaugers National Parkhttp://www.nps.gov/voya/index.htm
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/index.html

Minnesota is pretty pet friendly.
I was just about to mention that, because we had Bella up at Itasca State Park this summer. She met about 200 people at 3.5 months. It was great!

All MN parks allow dogs, as long as you follow the rules:State parks rules: Minnesota DNR

·
Registered
107 Posts
Last year my husband and I took our dogs to Elijay, GA and that entire area is pet friendly...Blueridge, GA, into a NP we went to in Tennessee (sorry, cant remember the name), as well as a NP in GA. The cabin we rented was pet friendly, too. Best vacation ever!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts