Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke (son's dog) is staying with us right now and he and Cody play really hard, lots of jumping/nipping/ etc. They were playing last night with a nylabone, one gets it and walks around in front of the other until he tries to get it, then the other does the same thing. Cody had the nylabone, Duke was trying to take it and started chasing Cody full speed around the living room. Then they started fighting. Much more intense then their normal playing-fighting with lots of teeth and growling. I yelled and broke it up, then took both dogs outside for a few minutes. When we came back inside they laid down by my feet and went to sleep!

Duke is 2 1/2, Cody is 10 months. They have been around each other a lot. They both like toys and there are always plenty of things for them to play with.

This felt (and sounded) very different from their normal playing. How can you tell the difference? What should I do next time?

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
If you've discovered some items that make the play fighting turn serious, remove those items until your visitor has gone home. You're right to stop the behavior, especially with adolescent pups who sometimes don't read the signals properly that this is all in fun. Finn and my golden grandpup play very rough but they never escalate the play into something serious simply because Finn won't, he'll walk away first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
From experience I've found that some dogs will happily play together with some specific toy, rubber ball, frisbee or whatever.

However some dogs will not and fun and games can turn nasty if one of the dogs decides that the toy in question is going to be his/hers come hell or high water.

I have four Goldens who spend their time in the garden and toys of any description are a definite no no. I've seen the damage done as a result of dogs fighting and I'm not prepared to risk it happening to one of my beauties.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
It sounds like you caught it just as it was escalating, and prevented anything serious from happening. Keeping high value items out of reach is a good idea.

I have 3 big dogs and 2 toy dogs, and it is pretty much open season on everything around here! But the Goldens don't fight over toys-Creed is very submissive to the girls, and Bindi is Trouble's daughter, so no problems there. The Pug just takes whatever she wants and that's it :), as does the Crested, although she likes to play keep away with Bindi. I can even toss high value treats like cheese on the floor without issues, but I know my dogs and I know when things might get out of hand.

It sounds like you were able to judge when it was starting to get out of hand, and take appropriate action. It might have been the nylabone, it might just have been that they had been getting worked up as time progressed but you did the right thing.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I'm learning the hard way of what to do and not what to do with my puppies. They've gotten into a couple of fights....most recently over a ball and just the other day over..I'm not sure actually. In any event, my arm got stuck in the middle of it and I'm sporting a huge bruise with teeth marks!!! They have actually never fought over a bone...just toys. Five minutes later...they love each other again!!! I'm still learning how to pick up on when they might scrap and hopefully will have it figured out soon!!!

In any event, it seems what you did worked...if I yell at my dogs to stop, it seems to annoy them and makes things worse. Thank goodness you were able to get them to stop....2 - 70 pound dogs fighting in the house is not pleasant.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I did pick up the nylabones (never thought of them as high value before..) What was interesting is that there were two other identical nylabones in the room but they wanted what the other one had :(.

Do you think Cody's age is part of why this escalated? Hoping it is just a phase as they love to play and chew on their toys.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have a different take on it. I don't think the Nylabone started it, per se. I think that probably when one was trying to take it away from the other one, there was an inadvertent bite that caught a lip or something. That would escalate it like that very quickly.

You did exactly the right thing by interrupting it. But I don't think there is any real issue there. Just what happens when they get to playing too hard and grab a toy from the other dog and accidentally get a lip or some skin. It happens here sometimes and my dogs adore each other.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had to laugh @ this not because it's funny but KD and Karma are sisters and they do the same thing - not so much now but they will often get angry with each other and it seems to turn serious with one of them, normally the smaller one. If Karma has a toy, KD wants it and takes it or tries until Karma finally just gives it to her - then KD will jump up on the couch and put the toy under her arm. Karma likes to play with a broken rubber heart, throwing it around and I will often throw it up for her to catch - KD watches and it's almost like she says "alright, I've had enough," then gets down from the couch and takes the heart back with her to the couch and lies on it. Funny kids.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a different take on it. I don't think the Nylabone started it, per se. I think that probably when one was trying to take it away from the other one, there was an inadvertent bite that caught a lip or something. That would escalate it like that very quickly.

You did exactly the right thing by interrupting it. But I don't think there is any real issue there. Just what happens when they get to playing too hard and grab a toy from the other dog and accidentally get a lip or some skin. It happens here sometimes and my dogs adore each other.
I agree completely! Sometimes, things escalate and dogs will be dogs.

I think that you did just fine interrupting it. Dont sweat it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts