Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coprohagia is the technical term for eating feces. This has been studied in dogs by several people with no definitive answer for "why" being found.

One cause could be, that your dog has some nutritional deficience, but that is rare.
Don't worry about it too much as this comes from natural roots and the fact is that dams often eat their pup's stools, as this is a method of hiding their presence from predators.

Dogs, specially pups will eat their own stools or stool of other species like cats and rabbits and as you see they do not find the taste of feces objectionable :) but I understand that this as a natural behavior really upsets some people and since dogs have to live with people, it just becomes an issue.

Some people suggested Forbid (product on the market). It doesn't work, don't waste your money.

Another alternative is to put meat tenderizer in the dog's food. This works in some cases.

Walk your dog on the leash and make sure it doesn't eat its stool is the best method.

It is sometimes possible to distract the dog by running a short distance after the dog has a bowel movement or by taking a couple of rapid steps then telling the dog to "sit" and giving it a treat.

If you can keep the dog from eating stool for a month or so it is sometimes long enough to break the habit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks

Thanks so much Walia!
I don't know if it isn't too late for my dog then since he's already kind of grown...
"Running short distance" really made me smile when I imagine myself with my dog - might be beneficial to my objective to lose some weight.

I'll try couple of those tricks listed below and let you know about the progress!

Jolie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, ive got the same problem and my dogs 7 months old now, i look out the window and then suddenly i cant eat my breakfast! I asked the vet and he said it was unfortunately one of the habits of a golden retriever. He also said (sorry to be so graphic!) the more fat that goes in then the more fatty it comes out! I didnt really want to press him for more details but i can only assume that we should stick to dog food rather than giving human food!

·
Registered
256 Posts
LOL !!! Really, this is common, very disgusting, but at the same time funny how they don't mind what so ever and we are completely outraged that our little companion does such a thing!

Haha... to add something disgusting - Kia (and all good dog moms) eats all the puppies waste :eek:. I guess it all just recycles since she's still feeding them... :). That's why puppies and mom have to start with deworming tablets in their 3rd week; it's just one big cycle.

Reactions: JeanieBeth

·
Registered
111 Posts
LOL Vierka! being on the funny side of this disgusting habit, i renamed my him Cooper the recycling dog!! I decided he was keeping up with the times by recycling and its hard for a golden to get to a bottle bank! :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Coopersmum - is Cooper going through something like stages of this habit? Because mine sometimes doesn't even notice the poop and other times I can't get there fast enough to pick it up and get it to the doggie bag! :eek:
For that reason I though it might be a deficiency in food diet or something...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Jolie

Cooper seems to do it more in the morning for some reason. I have started knocking the window if i see him and he runs to the door to get in, so i think the distraction thing is working. I don't think this is anything to do with a deficiency in their diet, i think it is just something golden retrievers like to do!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Do Not Read If You Have a Weak Stomach

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH:

Kia is already 4 years old, and not such a long time ago she had a case of diarrhea and right after she did it, she just turned her head and licked it like it was a spilled pudding or something she would just love to eat.

With a little grimace on her face, like she was saying:
"OK I won't eat it, but if you weren't here buddy, that would be a different story.."

uff, I think I will never get use to this type of behaviour.

Do you feel sick? I really advised you to skip to some other topic... :)

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Hey, you're welcome. Anytime :)
How is the weather? Well, we had quite a temperature drop. From 28 to 8 degrees here in Toronto. It's sickening. I usually end up with a headache when this happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My (late) dog Porter never had a problem with poop eating until he was 5 years old and I switched his food to Wellness. I switched him to Natural Balance Ultra and he stopped.

But...he wouldn't eat any other poops but his own so maybe your problem is not diet related.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just so you know you are not alone...both my GRs eat rabbit poop and cat poop they find in the yard. This really disgusts me and makes their breath smell horrible! BLECH!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey... they really don't discriminate... :D
From what we've seen, Kia is keen on dog poop only - and it doesn't really matter what food she's on, even though we have considered that it might be diet related. However, the vet said that it's just a bad habit.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
O.K. guys. I was on this site off and on all day and nothing and now I find you've been having this very intense discussion about..."POOP?" I feel that I can never leave my computer because you never know when an interesting subject like this one will pop out (excuse the pun). Actually, all kidding aside, it isn't just GR that eat poop. My mixed breeds also eat the stuff if I'm tardy in cleaning up and yes, they also love the "poopsicles". Disgusting habit. I think the only harm is if they eat cat poop or am I wrong? I think I heard that at one time because I had three dogs and three cats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know it's been said, but just to enforce it, I have a golden puppy who uses an open yard, so is on a leash. We had a problem only once...when she was in the "business half" ***we have the yard divided with an imaginary line*** of the yard and was off of the leash. But other than that, no problems! Oh, and I am aware that the wording is wierd, but it was a looong day...so it's the best my half dead brain can pull off. Sorry!:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
to all: Try putting meat tenderizer(ADOLPS) in food.
It works for stoping them from eating it and it might even work for frozen POOPSICLES... :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.