Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around on this forum, and it seems like everyone loves to bring their dogs with them on vacations! Where are your favorite dog friendly places to go? Me and my family always love the beach, but our Goldens have never been with us. I personally would LOVE to take my two pups with us, but part of the family doesn't want to. I understand, but it seems like my dogs don't get to experience anything like swimming in the ocean. Any suggestions as to what I can do? Areas or fun ideas? We are supposed to get a dog park here in Alabama, but its been a while and nothing. :( What are your dogs favorite things to do?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We like to go camping in our trailer, just about anywhere. State parks tend to be dog friendly, national parks not as much. Casper likes being out and about. He loves people (he'd get to meet more if he loved them just a bit less). He likes any body of water, especially if there are birds. He doesn't swim, but he likes to wade and watch the birds.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Our favorite place to vacation with the dogs is 90 minutes away at Disney’s Fort Wilderness campground. It is very dog friendly and even has a dog park. Many of the campers bring their dogs with them so it’s a fun atmosphere. We have gone to a few state parks in Florida and Georgia, but since we work it is hard to get away for long periods of time so Disney is perfect for us.

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
255 Posts
We enjoy taking our dog to Hilton Head Island and to Santee Cooper Lake system in SC. She swims in the ocean and in the lake. She really swims in any body of water she can get herself into!

·
Registered
307 Posts
We take ours almost everywhere, stores, camping, visiting my dad in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan).
The most fun we have is participating in Dock Diving! The dogs love it!

·
Digby's Dad
24 Posts
We are lucky enough to live about a 5 minute drive from a dedicated dog beach. It is Digby's most favourite place on earth. Loves chasing a ball and crashing into/through the waves.

·
Kate
22,631 Posts
See my spoiled dog threads.... ;)

I've been meaning to get both goldens out to the lakes the last couple weeks to get the pup introduced to the fields, woods, lakes, etc but it's been rainy and gross out... o_O I heard that it should be in the 40's and dry on Friday, so we may go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We enjoy taking our dog to Hilton Head Island and to Santee Cooper Lake system in SC. She swims in the ocean and in the lake. She really swims in any body of water she can get herself into!
Where do you stay in HHI? I am looking to vacation there this summer, but I've had trouble finding a beach that will allow dogs all day and a hotel that allows big dogs.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Our favorite place to vacation with the dogs is 90 minutes away at Disney’s Fort Wilderness campground. It is very dog friendly and even has a dog park. Many of the campers bring their dogs with them so it’s a fun atmosphere. We have gone to a few state parks in Florida and Georgia, but since we work it is hard to get away for long periods of time so Disney is perfect for us.
That's where we went for our honeymoon 30 years ago. I wasn't a dog owner at the time, so this is good to know. We'll have to revisit.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
We have a place at Kiawah Island, so I love to take Luke there as he loves chasing sea birds and frolicking in the ocean. No worries though because Luke is not that dog who likes to actually catch things he chases. I've watched him break chase many a time -- especially with bunnies -- when he actually gets really close to them. :p One time he and a bunny actually had a face off in my front yard and they were only about 10 feet away from each other. It was the coolest thing.

Back to the subject, we're taking Luke with us to the mountains in August. We have rented a cabin on a larger creek and plan to hike and the like. It's in Toplin, NC near the Nantahala River. Last year, we took him to Highlands, N.C. for the same type of vacation. He loves to hike and is definitely game for any water we allow him to get into.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
We take Ben camping. He loves it. Lots of new people and other dogs, new places to hike, and he loves just sitting outside and watching the squirrels, etc. We usually camp at state parks, which are usually dog friendly.

Don't feel bad about not taking your dog to the ocean. Though Ben likes playing with the waves, he also has a hard time remembering not to drink the water as he does when he's at a lake or river, so after a very short while he'll just start looking for dead fish/crabs, etc. and ignore the water. He still has fun, but he's not a big swimmer.

PS - do you know about dogfriendly.com ? It's a good source of information on dog friendly beaches, hotels, dogparks, etc.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We've taken Toby to Galveston for the past 3 years. We wanted to go the year Ike destroyed the island, but did make it the following year. Later this year,hurricane season permitting, we are branching out, taking a multi-state road trip with the pups, planning on stopping in a dog friendly beach in Mississippi or Alabama before heading north to the North Carolina mountains (Smokies). I'm already planning a packing list and list of ER vets along our route. I've also just finished our dog first aid kit and will soon start on the dogs' travel emergency forms. I enjoy traveling with the dogs, even if it complicates things slightly!

·
Registered
42 Posts
We go to the dog park or out on walks often. There is a creek in our backyard that is deep enough for the dogs to go swimming and they enjoy that! This year is the first year we are taking the pups down to the beach with us. Hopefully they do well with that :bowl:

·
Registered
Rocky, Golden Retriever.
7,300 Posts
We acquired are first travel trailer so that we could take our last Golden, Chewy, on vacation with us. We now have a 5th wheel trailer. Max went with us to Pismo Beach the second week we had him and camped with us in our 5th wheel. He did great. He has taken several trips with us and the trailer.

In a couple of weeks we are taking a quick trip up to San Luis Obispo for a large Golden Retriever Meet-up. It will be Max's first time staying in a hotel.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We acquired are first travel trailer so that we could take our last Golden, Chewy, on vacation with us. We now have a 5th wheel trailer. Max went with us to Pismo Beach the second week we had him and camped with us in our 5th wheel. He did great. He has taken several trips with us and the trailer.

In a couple of weeks we are taking a quick trip up to San Luis Obispo for a large Golden Retriever Meet-up. It will be Max's first time staying in a hotel.
Pictures pretty please!!!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I plan all of my vacations around my dogs. In July we have rented a cabin in the mountains of NC, near Boone, that is super pet friendly. It will be my parents, my husband, me and 4 dogs (3 goldens and a lab).

In October, we have a house rented in Duck, NC (Outer Banks). It is also super pet friendly, it even has a fenced back yard. Duck is dog friendly. Well behaved dogs don't have to be on leashes on the beach.

It can be tough sometimes when we travel to find a hotel that will take three large dogs, but I am always able to find one. Might not be the fanciest digs, but that's okay as long as the dogs are allowed and it's clean.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since we have four kids (who are too young to have their own hotel rooms) we always travel to areas that we get a condo or a cabin - which will be perfect for taking our (soon to be) dog with us. Our favorites are some condos/cabins near lakes here (Arkansas). We've gone to Orange Beach a few times, but usually our beach trips are to California since my family is out there... I WISH there was an airline that just let dogs in the cabin with their owners (like they do service dogs) - it would be so awesome to take our dog with us once a year when we travel out there! Next year we will probably try to make that into a roadtrip with an RV, so we will.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Camp, fish, hike and canoe in the mountains and rivers of Northern New England every autumn, that has always been our big thing. The rest of the year we have plenty of conservation lands nearby for day trips.

Sometimes we just camp out in our backyard, that is like a mini vacation.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
All...we just returned from Colorado...first a stay in cabin's up near Crested Butte, CO we rented a cabin at Pioneer Cabins (search for website). They allow dogs and it is near a great wilderness areas where you can let your dogs run. This time of year no heat, tics, or snakes...just fun! Then if you are up to it...on to Colorado Springs, Broadmoor Hotel one of the few 5 star resorts I know of that is Dog Friendly, it is not cheap, but for a few nights it is unbelievable....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts