Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite new here but thought I'd raise the alert when I saw an advertisement on Animal Planet today. They are running a new episode of their show "Dogs 101" Saturday night featuring "Designer Dogs" including "Goldendoodles." I have already written my objection to the show. Others may want to do the same.

Here's the link to "Viewer Relations":

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

And for the record, here's what I wrote (they limit you to 1,500 words):

"It represents bad judgement on the part of your network to air a "Dogs 101" epsidode on "designer dogs" or even to use the term "designer dogs" as part of its advertising. Regardless of their current popularity, using the term gives legitimacy to a bad breeding practice done largely by unscrupulous individuals. It continues the propaganda and falsehoods perpetuated by these breeders that these dogs are somehow "special" or different from mixed breed dogs that people can adopt at shelters. These dogs do shed, are not hypoallergenic, are not healthier, do not breed consistent with an established breed standard and will not be accepted into AKC as frequently claimed by their breeders. They do inherit the heritable traits of their parents such as hip dysplasia. The breed clubs of the individual breeds involved are all in opposition to this practice. Certain mixes also create other problems; for example mixing the double coat of a golden retriever with the dense, low shedding curly coat of a poodle frequently results in a grooming nightmare. The breeders do not need any more popularity than they have already earned. If the show produced instead focused on the problems with "designer dogs" you would be doing your viewers a service. Instead, the show is clearly formatted like other "Dogs 101" episodes that focus on individual "breeds" so it clearly won't be focusing on the "designer dog" problem as a whole and will instead give legitimacy and publicity to a bad practice."

I was already slightly annoyed with this program when they characterized goldens as a "biting" breed when I think they meant to discuss "mouthiness" as a possible issue in pups. I noted in a recent rerun of that episode that they modified the program slightly, but still didn't get it quite right. But to do an entire episode on "designer dogs" in the "Dogs 101" format to me is completely irresponsible.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
IMO, "designer breeds" is just another one of those politically correct terms adopted to make people that own mixed breed dogs and those that breed them, some how feel better about their choice.

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a big problem with owning a mixed breed dog - if you walk into a shelter and adopt one. I have certainly done that. But never once did I think of my dog as a "designer" anything. She was just a lovely pet and pretty smart dog too.

But then, I don't care about "designer" anything, let alone dogs.

The bigger issue is the huge numbers of these poorly bred dogs being pawned off on people, many of whom don't know better, and the sheer number ending up in shelters. This show just legitimizes a scam and the animals end up the losers.

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I searched for other threads on the topic before I posted but didn't find yours. I suppose it doesn't hurt to toss it back up again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The segment on "labradoodles" and "goldendoodles" was nauseating. They very conveniently left out vital pieces of information. For instance, the fact that the original Labradoodle breeding program was deemed a FAILURE because despite trying for a few generations, the dogs did NOT breed true to any kind of standard. But no, they didn't think that was worth mentioning.... sheesh.

"This popular designer dog is a mix of a Golden Retriever and a Toy Poodle. This cross breed is quite possibly the perfect pooch for active families."

Funny, because I thought Golden's by themselves were suitable matches for families with active lifestyles without mixing in a toy breed....

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
"This popular designer dog is a mix of a Golden Retriever and a Toy Poodle. This cross breed is quite possibly the perfect pooch for active families."

Funny, because I thought Golden's by themselves were suitable matches for families with active lifestyles without mixing in a toy breed....
Did they actually say it was between a golden and a toy poodle? Do they even have a clue? These dogs are from standard poodles and goldens. Still mixed breeds either way, but certainly not as small as they would lead people to believe.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ugh. Designer breeds.

You always hear how wonderful their dogs are when you meet them. Whenever a golden doodle owner tells me they don't shed, I tell them "wow, I heard that wasn't true." They always squirm trying to explain why that isn't the case with their dog. Most the doodles we have been met are hyperactive, and usually on a flexilead. Just one more reason not to watch Dogs 101. So many better dogs shows to watch...it is at the bottom of my list.

·
16,000 Posts
IMO, "designer breeds" is just another one of those politically correct terms adopted to make people that own mixed breed dogs and those that breed them, some how feel better about their choice.

AND to be able to attach a "designer" price tag to them, which in turn allows the buyer to justify having paid a ridiculous sum of money for a mutt.

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not that it matters any in the least, just a personal opinion, but every "goldendoodle" (God I HATE that term) I've ever met is not that attractive of a dog. I just don't get why people are into them. I'm not a poodle person, but a well-bred standard poodle to me is a much more attractive looking dog - after all, you don't have to keep it in a Continental clip if you don't fancy that look. If shedding is your concern, go get a poodle.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
we hang nametags on our dog suites that have the dog's name, breed, and owner's name in very large, prominent letters.
For "mutts", I label the breed "American Bitsa" (as in, bitsa this, bitsa that). The owners are usually tickled. Sometimes I use "All American Dog" for variety. The owners are usually tickled by that one, too.
For designer breeds, I label it "Golden-Poodle Cross" if it's a golden doodle, for example. The owners are not so tickled.
My game, my rules :)

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm with you Hotel. I hate the "cutesy" names. Our shelter does the same thing with mixes when we know what the mix is. I loved the term "bitsa" - heard it for the first time a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
we hang nametags on our dog suites that have the dog's name, breed, and owner's name in very large, prominent letters.
For "mutts", I label the breed "American Bitsa" (as in, bitsa this, bitsa that). The owners are usually tickled. Sometimes I use "All American Dog" for variety. The owners are usually tickled by that one, too.
For designer breeds, I label it "Golden-Poodle Cross" if it's a golden doodle, for example. The owners are not so tickled.
I like that - very clever.

·
16,000 Posts
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

Perfect. I think that there is are product labeling laws, and you are in compliance!!!

I think that there are a bunch of yahoos that sit around drinkin' and thinkin' up ridiculous names for mixed breeds

Bulldog ex Shih Tzu = Bullshi* (got THAT right...)
Afghan ex Collie = Afollie (A FOLLY is more like it...)
Airedale ex Poodle = Airedoodle (more like airHEAD...)
Bassett Hound ex Scottish Terrier = Bascottie (great dunked in coffee?)
Boxer ex Rottweiller = Boxweiler (put it IN a box and ship it elsewhere...)
Boston Terrier ex Rat Terrier = Brat (do not even go there...)
Dachshund ex Yorkshire Terrier = Dorkie (put THAT on a run card, Barb!!!)
French Bulldog ex Dachshund = French Bull Weiner (can you even say that?)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hybriddogs.htm

and on and on and on.:mad::doh:

·
Registered
774 Posts
OK, I don't think I'll call my Teddy a pomapoo anymore! I'll just say he's a mutt. But I do love him dearly :)

Kris

·
16,000 Posts
OK, I don't think I'll call my Teddy a pomapoo anymore! I'll just say he's a mutt. But I do love him dearly :)

Kris
Just as I dearly loved my old Banjo - a Lab and Irish Setter mix who looked like a black giraffe. He was a great dog. He was a mutt. He was not a "designer" dog. He was NOT an Irador. :doh:

·
Just make it happen
481 Posts
I liked the episode. I have a soft spot for labradoodles, actually. I don't mind people breeding mixed breeds as long as they meet the requirements of a responsible breeder( though, some people believe if you breed mixed breeds, you will never be considered responsible). There are individual breeds, however, that I'm against the breeding of. Not many people complain about the breeding of English Bulldogs which are bascially walking health problems. But to each their own. I own a breed who many would LOVE to see the breeding disappear so I shut my trap up when it comes to what should/shouldn't be bred.

If someone came to me and told me they really wanted a Labradoodle, I say what I would say with any breed. Do your research and make sure that is what you can handle! Maybe there is another breed that fits what you want in a dog. Other than that, hope you find what you are looking for.

Designer dogs will always be here. Not much one can do really.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I liked the episode. I have a soft spot for labradoodles, actually. I don't mind people breeding mixed breeds as long as they meet the requirements of a responsible breeder( though, some people believe if you breed mixed breeds, you will never be considered responsible). There are individual breeds, however, that I'm against the breeding of. Not many people complain about the breeding of English Bulldogs which are bascially walking health problems. But to each their own. I own a breed who many would LOVE to see the breeding disappear so I shut my trap up when it comes to what should/shouldn't be bred.

If someone came to me and told me they really wanted a Labradoodle, I say what I would say with any breed. Do your research and make sure that is what you can handle! Maybe there is another breed that fits what you want in a dog. Other than that, hope you find what you are looking for.

Designer dogs will always be here. Not much one can do really.
Yes, you pretty much worded what I think. And I do believe there are responsible and passionate labradoodle and Golden doodle breeders. Very low percentage unfortunately match even my criteria for what a "responsible" breeder is.

·
16,000 Posts
Sorry, but no "responsible" breeder of any of the purebred dogs that are used to make "doodles" would knwoingly sell a dog to someone whose intention it is to breed it to another breed. And very, very few of the manufacturers of intentionally mixed breeds do health clearances on either the sire or the dams, because, you know, "being "hybrids" they produce none of the health issues that purebred dogs are known for". Therefore, the quality and genetic health of the purebred dogs used to produce these mixes are generally lacking.
It is not too likely that you will see Ch Toasty's Treasure Island, with all clearances, bred to CH Bar-None Dawin Travelin' Man, with all clearances to produce healthy, "quality" GoldenDoodles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts