Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding: Doggy odor -- I'm looking into getting a GR from my local Rescue group. In my research of the breed, I keep coming across a common comment; "...also note that Golden Retrievers have a distinctive "doggy" odor to their skin and coat that some people find offensive."

Can someone please explain this to me? Is this something common in all GR's or is there a way to control this.

Thanks for any info - Roc-

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Never came across this myself but then Mojo hasn't had many chances to go swimming. Maybe it's just the wet dog smell they all get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks -- I was wondering if they were refering to the "wet dog" smell too. But don't most dogs get a little stinky when wet anyway?

Oh... and by the way, I have a river in my backyard --- shall I "assume" that the dog will be in --- more than out? LOL

Roc-

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Our boy Charlie,ATRB, had a bad odor when we first got him.The Vet said it was from his poor diet and health problems,We would wash him and he stank worse. We tried every type of shampoo we could find.I cooked fish and potatoes for him for a month.Nothing,maybe even worse.We dreaded rainy days.We had both ozone generators on the highest settings and they almost didn't do it.
We finally started feeding him regular food,but we used a vitamin enriched horse feed top dressing called Golden Grow.One of my neighbors was using it for his horses and they looked great.We put 1 tea spoon full sprinkled on top of his food.It took about 2 months to kill the smell,but we noticed a difference after the first week.We used it for 2 years and then the guy I got it from moved away.Charlie stayed smelling good for the rest of his life.
Golden Grow is (or was) made in Gray,Georgia by a horse feed maker called Apple Valley Farms.I don't know if they are still there,but you can buy vitamin supplements if needed.
Shane

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can someone please explain this to me? Is this something common in all GR's or is there a way to control this.

Doggie odor? A bath maybe. Sometimes ears get a little yucky and need to be taken care I just smelled my girl Millie she smells like "DOG" to me better than perfume. Oh but after grooming wow she really really smells great. Take care

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Do GR smell bad:

:wavey: The only thing that really smelled on Sasha was whenever she had another ear infection which was a lifelong problem for her but they only smelled when she would just get the infection. As soon as I began treatment the smell would dissapear. I'm hoping to find a real solution to the ear infection problem before I get my next Golden but it wasn't a bad enough smell that I would consider it a reason to not get another GR. She did seem to need a bath more often than my Lab but it wasn't the smell, it's just that I loved the way she felt when she was newly shampooed. So-o-o-o soft and silky, there is nothing like it. I think you will not go wrong if you get a GR. They are the BEST!:banana: :dblthumb2 Cathy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well every thing has its own smell! Goldens smelll.... like dogs!

When they are wet they smell more, and a lot of them also like to roll in smelly things so you have to bath them.

But I dont think they smell worse than other breeds. My mother in law's Golden Cocker spaniels stink- not because they are dirty [my mother in law would give Hyacinth Bucket a run for her money], its just their smell. My friends dogs all have a "smell", its not often ofensive [unless they've been rolling] but dogs do have a definate smell.

By the way if you have a river on your propety, your Golden will be very happy, but WET!

Sarah

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huff became a little smelly when she was 3 months. Especially when I gave her a bath and let her dry the normal way (leave her alone after wiping her). What I did to get rid of the smell was... one day I gave her a good bath and make sure I dry her. I blew dry her as if done by a groomer. Drying makes a big difference. You can also spray your dog with deodorizer, a finish touch of pet cologne if you love hugging your GR. Now.. I don't have that problem anymore.

And as the others say: Make sure to check the ears for infections or wax/dirt build-up.. these makes your dog smelly so bad!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Golden smelled oily(yuck) and had dandruff until we switched her to a premium dog food and a medicated bath. The smell went away and we never had problems again with any smells unless we took her swimming!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.