Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doggie sitting for a friend and her girlfriend from Dec 28 - Jan 1! A beautiful, 1 year old, female yellow lab! She is apparently "well trained, but high energy". I am so looking forward to it but would love any pointers from those of you that have done this before. We are still semi new puppy parents (Remy is 6 months) but we have never had two dogs in the apartment. Should be a fun adventure!

Guess I need to explain to Remy that some puppies have a momma and a daddy and others have two mommas or two daddies... but it doesn't make them any different and they are still loved and treated all the same! :p::p::p: I suppose it's a good practice for when I have kids!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
That will be fun!

The only advice I have is to watch the other dog very closely to see when she wants to go out. She might be a liitle confused at first with the new surroundings. When we dog sat last summer, the other dog kind of became "un-housebroken". :no:

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
we lab sat last week...only problem was establishing sleep location. If visitor is used to crate it'd be easy. She cam with great bed, but neither she nor our 2 touched it.

She came with vet records, favorite toys/blanket, her regular food.

At home, she has a very regular "I want out" schedule, but she changed it here. After we learned to "obey" her nitely 3 AM request to go out all was good.

My goldie was in a bit of a snit when she first arrived; he was in a funk & very clingy for 24 hours after she left. Our older lab was fine with anything..as long as she was still the boss.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Be sure her collar is TIGHT - not loose and hanging like a necklace.
Last thing you need is her spooked by something new in your neighborhood and backing out of her collar.

Feed in crates or separate rooms - again no sense in tempting fate with a dog that may be stressed.

Reactions: FlyingQuizini

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your tips! I can't wait to take care of her!

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Henry the lab is here! She is beautiful but definitely outlasts my boy... he gets tired long before she does! It seems like her energy is endless! I'll post a video later!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Ask what her vocabulary is. You might use "get down" to mean "remove your front feet from the kitchen counter," when the dog is used to "off." Especially ask what her come-when-called word is, and if she has any quirks you should be aware of -- like a tendency to door-dart or eat stray socks. Even generally "well trained" dogs have quirks.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She actually has been very well behaved. Her recall word is "come" but she still tried to door dart earlier even though her owners said she didn't have a problem with that. We will def be watching for it now. Can't blame her though, she's in a new weird place.

Remy seems to be getting a little bit jealous, though. He is suddenly clingy (which he never really is) and wants to be by me all the time. Plus he has only child syndrome... if she picks up a toy he has to get it away because it is "his". No aggression or anything just jealousy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts