Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Puddles
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting warm down here in TX and I'm surrounded by lakes. I think Sipsy and I are going to try kayaking or canoeing. I'm going to the park tomorrow and check it out to know what my choices are.
So I can go to Walmart to get me a vest but wondered about the best options for Sipsy.
Heaven forbid I actually have to pull 60 lbs of wet dog back into a canoe! But hey, I want to be darn sure we can stay afloat just in case.

Suggestions??

·
Registered
249 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have the Outward Hound vest for Luna. It has the grab handles should you need to hoist her back into a canoe or kayak. Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Jacket-Outward-Hound-Granby/dp/B0081XIK4Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526086730&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=outward+hound+life+jacket&th=1
This is what Noah used to learn to swim and dock dive with. It was rough after his first season, but when I e-mailed them to tell them how much we enjoyed it, and its current condition, they shipped me a brand new one!

·
Puddles
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had just looked at some (online) and wondered about the one with the flap in front, I can see how that might be helpful. Say a prayer I never have to use those handles!!

Sips loves water but is not the heat seeking obsessive to water like my 1st golden. I swear she had a built in divining rod in her! Sips walks down the boat ramps to get a drink but because I'm still on dry land, she doesn't swim out.

Funny story.... I would sometimes bring my last rescue golden with me to help get client dogs want to stay out in the heat long enough to do their business and actually get some exercise. One client had a great apartment that had a HUGE duck pond inside an inclosed area. I was paying close attention to the client dog, of course and suddenly I looked up and there was my rescue, in the middle of the pond trying to swim down some ducks! This was one client he didn't help with again... man was he a smelly mess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts