Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Doggie Daycare?

627 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Old Gold Mum2001 
#1 ·
How many people here use a doggie daycare?

Is it a big center type or an in home type?

What are the things you like best about it?

What, if anything, don't you like about?

Is there anything you would change, or would like to see added to the daycare?

Why did you choose this current provider over the others?

#2 ·
I don't take mine to doggy daycare on any regular basis, but their petsitter runs a doggy daycare as well, so I can tell you a little about that.

It's run out of her home. She only takes up to 6 dogs for daycare, and only up to 4 for overnight boarding at a time. I like that she treats the dogs as if they are her own. When boarded, they can sleep on the floor of her bedroom with her own dog (a golden too!) and for daycare, she takes them to fenced in parks or dog beach (if you would rather your dog not go on those trips, you can say so, and her husband will stay home with your dog). Her house is a dog playground... tons of toys around, several water bowls, a sandbox and kiddie pool in the backyard.. AND if your pup gets a little dirty playing or at the dog beach, she will give him a bath at no charge. I prefer this type of situation over a large facility type, because I feel its less of a change for my dog... its just like being at home.. just with more dogs around. :)

#3 ·
We used it three half days a week from the time Sam was 6 months until he turned a year old. Our reason Boy do I miss it...he would come home exhuasted!

Is it a big center type or an in home type?
Ours was a center, not too big, they had about 10 dogs a day.

What are the things you like best about it?

It was run by our trainer & all staff are certified trainers as well. Also the head trainer required behavioral assesments before a dog could come so we were comfortable with the dogs he was being socialized with. This was really important to us!

What, if anything, don't you like about?

Expense. We had to stop going because we could no longer afford it :( Hopefully that will change soon!

Is there anything you would change, or would like to see added to the daycare?

They are planning on hosting "owner supervised play sessions" we would pay a small fee & get to observe the dogs playing together while the trainers explained their behavior to us. I am really looking forward to this when it starts!

Why did you choose this current provider over the others?

Staff - I love the people who run it. Sam has done all of his training there & we are very comfortable with the supervision of the daycare.

Logistics - Close to our home, open on weekends, I can get him in on short notice.

#4 ·
> How many people here use a doggy daycare?
Rookie goes to daycare on days when I'm working in the office rather than at home.

> Is it a big center type or an in home type?
It's in the owner's backyard, but it's a decent sized group of dogs. Not huge, but big enough that there's a small dog area and a large dog area.

> What are the things you like best about it?
They do pickup and drop off! I also like that it's only a half day. All day is a bit too much stimulation for Rookie.

> What, if anything, don't you like about? Is there anything you would change, or would like to see added to the daycare?
I'm pretty happy with it as is.

>Why did you choose this current provider over the others?
Price is better than others in the area and the other daycares don't do pickup and drop off.

#5 · (Edited)
I work at a doggie daycare and take my dog with me. We have a center-all indoors large dog and small dog areas. Average of 25-45 dogs a day.

Best thingsabout it is it definitely wears Tysen out!!

I don't like that I have seen some cases were the dogs can learn some bad habits (barking, eating poop, etc). Also, some dogs just aren't made for daycare and really don't like it.

#6 ·
We are faithful doggy daycare goes. Bogey has been going since he was 12 weeks old. He had to have his first 2 rounds of shots and a letter from the vet, and he was only kept with other puppies that had the same shots and letters until he had everything. But he is the most well-socialized pup because of it. And it wears him out and keeps him from being destructive.

Since we both work away from the home most of the time, it's been a lifesaver. Now we take him every MWF and my husband stays home on T and Th mornings until noon with him. Then he is only in his crate for 5 hours twice a week. It's a good amount of time for him to not hate his crate but not too much that he sees it as a punishment or anything to be afraid of.

We pay $15/day. We love the owner and the personal attention. You can view the one we use online here: http://www.paradisepets.net/

They also board. We've only had to use that once and it was just for one night, but he wasn't even phased by it, which is great. We mostly travel with him or leave him with my parents, but it's nice to know that he would do okay.

They also sell great food there (Fromm) and lots of wonderful shampoos and toys.

The owner is a wonderful woman who is ALWAYS there. She lets us know if anything is wrong or if he is acting different. She also has a huge trained full-time staff. There are about 75 dogs a day there, but each has their own area, so it's not too overwhelming for any one person to handle their small group.

In the summer they have parties for them, swimming lessons in the pool and cookouts. They also had a Christmas party, Thanksgiving feast and Halloween party.

Bogey just adores it!

#7 ·
We use it occasionally for Sherman. Despite an incident in which Sherman was attacked by another dog while at day care (they were walking him at the end of the day and a dog aggressive dog got away from its handler and got Sherm), I'm generally quite happy w/our facility. It is a center--the same place where Sherman boards and trains and gets groomed and he absolutely loves it there. And they love him. They called last week and offered me discounted grooming b/c it had been a while since they'd seen him...

I took him in Tuesday for a grooming and day care day. His neighborhood BFF got attacked by a bassett at a dog park and is out of commission until his dew claw heals (he needed a surgical repair) and I hurt my knee Sunday, so I knew we would be having a low activity week. He'll go again next Friday b/c I'm heading out of town and don't want my Dad to have to deal w/my toddler and Sherman. Plus, then he'll be nice and worn out all weekend!

It's definitely a tool in my arsenal for wearing him out!

#8 ·
Thanks for all your responses :)

My oldest rents apt upstairs and has now gotten his own place, which leaves the apt upstairs open. Can always re rent it, but then who knows what type of people are really moving in, kind of scary. Could always do a doggie daycare, or open a child daycare (which I used to do bout 10 yrs ago). It's also weekly income (daycare, 900-1000.00) vs monthy income(rent, 800-1000.00), lol :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.