Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I went out to warm up my car and stopped to chat with my next door neighbor who was walking her little dog which had recently adopted from the shelter.

I mentioned to her that if she ever needed a dogsitter, to let me know - that myself or any of my kids would be interested.

She said she was just struggling with trying to figure out what to do - she is a nurse and will begin working some 12 hour shifts. So we worked out that I will go over to her house twice a day (every 5 hours) about 3 days a week and take her dog for a walk or to run in my fenced yard for awhile.

She does not have a fenced yard, so its not a case of just letting the dog outside - it has to be walked or brought to my yard.

So what would you think this is worth? I mean, if you were paying someone to take your dog out for you during the day - how much would you pay? I'm just not sure!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kris

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I've sent my boys to Doggie Daycare before and just tonight had to find another one in a different town. When I was in WAY northern Maine I paid $20 per day for my boys and today I signed up for $30 per day while I have to be in another town. Both places have good set ups with lots of human and doggie interaction. The 20/day option had a bus that picked them up and dropped them off at my motel room door. Both my guys loved it and it was great to come home from work to two very tired pups.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I pay $15 for a half day of daycare with pickup and drop off service. They charge the same thing for "relief visits."

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm....this is difficult. My extent of 'care' really just consists of going to her house twice a day and walking her dog or letting him run in my yard for a while. Not taking care of him for the entire day.

Just not sure what to charge for this!!

She is happy that he gets to stay home rather than go away to a daycare as he is 8 years old and very shy (afraid of men).

Kris

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Totally seat of the pants here but I would think that $5 to $10/day would be a starting point in the negotiations. :p:

·
Registered
154 Posts
You may want to check what pet sitters are charging in your area. Since you don't have to travel to pick the dog up, your fee would be less. Personally, I would think $10 per day is appropriate.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I was thinking in the $10/day range, too, considering you don't have to travel and don't really have to walk the dog.

I pay $13 per visit for a dog walker, but she has to walk my dog since I don't have a fenced in yard. Daycare in my area is around $25.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun gig.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
My son does this for our neighbor when they are out of town, they pay him $10 a day.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to go with $5/per visit. Some days would be only one visit, some days two.

Thanks for the input!

Kris

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
the dog walking service i use from time to time is $15 per 30 minute visit. they come to your house, take your dog on a 15 to 20-ish minute walk, make sure their water bowl is refreshed and food given if you request it, and that the dog gets some hugs and loving and a treat and is secure when they leave (as in, if you crate them, they are back in the crate). if i had them come twice in one day, it would be $30 for that day.

the dogging day care we use is $22 per day. this is where you drop them off at a facility in the morning and pick them up in the evening.

you may find that you bring the dog into your yard to play and he ends up hanging out with you guys for a while before you bring him home. :)

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
I was also thinking about the $10 a day range since the dog is close by and it wouldn't be a huge output of time and energy. If you had to drive to get to the dog, the price should be higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts