Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 44 pound 19 week old male golden retriever puppy that I have started in doggie daycare. I set him up to go twice a week when nobody is home all day. I brought him in the morning and he seemed to be fine, and called once during the day and they said everything was going good. The people at the daycare said they where going to keep him in the room with the littler dogs for the day dogs such as yorkiee's. When I went to go pick him up at the end of the day they said he did really well in that room so they moved him to the other room. The other room has full-grown large and medium sized dogs and the youngest dog in there besides Charlie is a 10 month old husky. When I picked him up he was fine and seemed happy to be there and fine. I brought him home and he ate a little and then slept for about four hours. After he woke up he seemed to have some aggressive behaviors such as growling at me when I took away paper he was chewing and growling and barking when I went to put him in his crate for the night. I was wondering if you could tell me if this is normal dog behavior after being in a new environment and around new dogs/people or something to be concerned about. He has not had much exposer to other dogs only trips to petco, and he has been around our cats.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
In my experience here at the pet hotel, no, that is not normal and yes, I would be concerned about it. Sounds to me like he was allowed to become over tired and/or over stimulated. What provisions do they make for enforced rest periods during the day?

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes I was going to ask if they offered him a nap time...
All day up is too much. And adults don't need the rest that he will, since he was with adults. Rem stayed with some adult dogs before during daycare when he was younger but the pet sitter took care that he had nap time and was left alone (from other dogs) for a long enough period.

I know it varies by location but our petsmart is really careful on interactions, although I don't use them for daycare. So assuming they did their job properly I wouldn't be worried about him picking up other bad behaviors from a few hours away from you.

But if you read many puppy threads those behaviors are recounted over and over by puppy owners everywhere, even those who do not use daycare.

Good luck and many more happy days.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts