Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting back to work. It's only part time, one full day and 2 half days. On the full day I was thinking of putting Riley in a doggie day care for the day. I have checked the place out and it seems OK. I am taking her there today for a few hours for a test run. It seemed a better alternative than having a pet sitter come just once and walking her. She has all of her shots including bordetella. She gets along well with other dogs and loves to play. They seem to have several people on staff and I'm hoping they keep a close eye on things. I'll know better after today. Thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am all for doggy daycare. But you do want to check their policy on whether the dogs are given a chance to go potty during the day. My mom took her dog to daycare for several months, but she had to switch to half days because the daycare didn't take the dogs outside to potty (they just let them go inside and cleaned it up) and the poor dog was miserable by the time she picked him up because he refused to potty inside.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I have had bad experiences with doggy day care - my Rowdy was a soft dog and a few of the other dogs were allowed to harass and bully him, hump him, chase him under a chair etc. He ended up curled in a ball under a chair which okay, I did have a few words with the owner about.

Just be careful and stop by at various times before you sign up ...

·
Registered
268 Posts
two days a week for us. maybe 3 when the winter starts to get brutal.
it's a life saver, tired puppy by the end of the day. he loves it, normally hates riding in the car and may get sick on the way there but ready to jump out of the truck before we even park.

our place required neutering by 7months, the lastest of the 3 we looked at. we were able to stretch it out till 7.5 months. that was the only downside of sending him there.

but ours opens up the back garage doors and sends 4-5 dogs out at a time to go potty, at noon they have a 2 hour "nap" in their own kennels, they will give your dog a lunch or snack at this time if you bring it. place doesn't look like anything special, big room full of random oversized plastic items (kids car bed, slides, etc) with rubber tile floors. other joints had fancy lobbies and stylish kennels and whatever, at a premium, but in the end it's for a dog who just wants to run around like a nut and play with other dogs.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie has been going since he was a pup. When I have a project that requires me to work in an office, he goes every day. When I'm working from home he goes once or twice a week. The daycare I use is a half day service. They pick him up in a van and drop him back off afterward. He goes absolutely NUTS when the driver comes to pick him up. I think it's pretty clear that he loves it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
our's is wonderful. all of the facilities in our region are indoor and outdoor with the dogs being allowed to come and go as they please. our facility divides dogs by play level and size and does temperment evaluations before they come in.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I used a doggie day care when I was working out of town last summer. The boys would get picked up by the bus in the morning and dropped at the motel after I got out of work. They both loved it and were exhausted when they came home. I think it really helped with their socialization.

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
I have one day during the week that I have to be at work a particularly long time and Eleanor goes to Daycare that day. I looked at several in the area and then settled on one that I am incredibly pleased with. Eleanor starts whining when the car turns down the daycare's foad and she quivers with excitement. Going to daycare is one of the few times leash control is hard because she is so excited to be there. At the end of the day she is exhausted.

Eleanor's daycare guarantees a one person to 15 dog ratio and always has someone watching the dogs play. The space is large and they will feed lunch if you bring it. I particularly like that someone is always watching the play, not all places do that.

For us it is one of the best things we do for Eleanor.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. I just picked her up after a 4 hour visit. Seems like she had a good time. They said she was a little shy with the big dogs (very unlike her) but that she played with some of the smaller ones. She will be going all day on Monday so we'll see how that goes. She hates riding in the car. I am hoping that she ends up loving day care and subsequently the car ride there and back. Thanks again!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Harvey is 8 months and I was really nervous about leaving him with anyone but I found a great daycare near me that has webcams up all day! He loves going and is wiped out when he gets home- plus I can check in on him and see what he's up to. I think if you find a good doggy daycare, it's great for them. If I could afford it, I would send him more often.

It sounds like a good place that they are keeping an eye on her and letting you know how she did. Hope she has even more fun on Monday :)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I've taken Flora to a doggy daycare near where I live, which was recommended by our vet. I like it a lot b/c it has a huge outdoor area where the dogs can play, swim in pools, and (most importantly!) go potty.

Flora is a scaredy cat and never plays with other dogs, but the people there are super sweet and I know she's taken care of. Occasionally I can drive around back and check her out in the outside area, and she's usually under the care of an employee who's playing ball with her or scratching her ears.

Just make sure you choose a daycare that you're comfortable with. Make sure they require their animals fixed, require all the proper shots, etc. I'd even ask for references.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts