Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new to the forum as you all can tell. I've been looking into getting a golden retriever for quite a while now, yet my lifestyle would be more appropriate for an adult dog. I came across this website that looks very reliable to me, and I think I might place a special order for a purebred male golden. I am very impressed with the levels of training and behavior/manners they teach their dogs as well as their health and temperament screenings from looking on their website. There are also smaller things that seem to make them reputable such as: they will not ship their dogs (only pick-up or deliver) and their wealth of information about the "30 day bonding". This will be my first dog that I am willing to pay a few grand in order to get accustomed to having a golden retriever as a 10 plus years companion. Although this is my first dog, I have done my research and am very knowledgeable about the breed and raising/training dogs in general. From the looks of this site, I believe it to be reputable and trustworthy. Before I lay down a non-refundable deposit I would like to know if there are any of you that have personal experience with this academy, or have heard good things about it. They will be raising my golden for the first year or so of its life and giving it up to a level 3 training. Please let me know your thoughts!

Here is the website:
http://www.trainedadultdogsforsale.com/Training_Level_of_Dogs.htm

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
This isnt something I personally would choose above finding a good breeder looking to place the right adult dog with me. Alternatively, choosing a wonderful rescue or finding just the right 8 week old pup and an APDT/CPDT trainer to raise him using positive methods? Good luck with your quest.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I agree with ljilly, not my cup of tea, HOWEVER, if it is what you want go for it. I don't like that they purchase designer breeds. I do like that they find rescues and train them. They also get some of their dogs from breeders and as such is the case I would make sure that they get clearances on the dogs they purchase (although I do question--but don't know--reputable breeders selling their puppies to such a place. I doubt it.) Have you looked at other people that do the same thing?

Another possible alternative if you are diligent is finding a reputable breeder who kept back on of their puppies to grow out and then decided not show him or her. You could get an older well-bred golden with some initial training.

Here is one http://www.mattiaci.com/TrainedGoldenRetriever.htm.
I haven't checked her out thoroughly but she looks like a reputable breeder. She competes with her dogs in conformation and occasionally has older dogs that need a home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts