Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am looking for a golden retriever puppy and have seen it suggested here a bit to go to dog shows etc to meet some breeders / check out dogs and I was just wondering how I find out when dog shows are on? Is there Facebook pages I can follow?
This will be my first golden and my first non rescue dog (My last was an English cocker spaniel from RSPCA) I am doing all the research (clearances etc) but it is difficult as I am currently in Australia (in the process of moving to San Diego in the next 6-10 months, my husband already lives there but has little experience with dogs/breeders) so a puppy is pretty far down the track but I’m trying to be extremely prepared as this is top priority for my husband and I when we are settled.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Go to akc.org and search their events calendar. It allows you to specify location... well state anyway. Closing date is the last day people can enter. You want to use the actual show date. It also lets you break it down to what type of show you are looking for, agility trials, conformation, obedience. Be sure and purchase a program and make notes. This will also tell you if the dog you are watching is from a nearby kennel or cross country :) Happy hunting!

·
Kate
22,661 Posts
https://webapps.akc.org/event-search/#/search

^^^ You do an event search on AKC.

There are local superintendents who list shows + provide judging programs (so you know what time you need to go to a show in order to see the breed(s) you are interested in), however AKC is a good start.

** I can't emphasize enough - please check show times for goldens before heading out to the show. A good example is where I'm showing next week - Sat, goldens show at 9AM. This means that we arrive at 7:30 in the morning to get stuff going, 8AM everyone is getting pretty serious about grooming, 8:30 - absolutely NO TIME really for spectators for most people - especially if they have multiple dogs and need to head to the ring about 10 minutes before. Then after the breed is done showing, everyone goes home. So anyone who arrives at noon - will not see any goldens aside from the one who won the breed who has to stick around, and usually that dog is crated and sleeping out of sight most of the day, and if you don't know the handler, you'll never find that dog. Best of groups/show happens at the end of the day - and that's another thing. If you want to see in person what people typically see when watching Westminster or the National Dog Show, you've got to check the judging program to see what time groups begin. <= When I was much younger, I remember going to dog shows with my older sisters and doing all the browsing and having a quandary about waiting 3-4 hours in order to see groups. So I'm saying - you might want to dress comfortably, bring a chair, and try to target those times when the breeds you like are showing + have a game plan for seeing what you want to see.

Unless I'm wrong, the Golden national is in California (LA) this year. So you're lucky as far as timing goes... :)

Home | 2019 GRCA National Special

·
155 Posts
https://webapps.akc.org/event-search/#/search

^^^ You do an event search on AKC.

There are local superintendents who list shows + provide judging programs (so you know what time you need to go to a show in order to see the breed(s) you are interested in), however AKC is a good start.

** I can't emphasize enough - please check show times for goldens before heading out to the show. A good example is where I'm showing next week - Sat, goldens show at 9AM. This means that we arrive at 7:30 in the morning to get stuff going, 8AM everyone is getting pretty serious about grooming, 8:30 - absolutely NO TIME really for spectators for most people - especially if they have multiple dogs and need to head to the ring about 10 minutes before. Then after the breed is done showing, everyone goes home. So anyone who arrives at noon - will not see any goldens aside from the one who won the breed who has to stick around, and usually that dog is crated and sleeping out of sight most of the day, and if you don't know the handler, you'll never find that dog. Best of groups/show happens at the end of the day - and that's another thing. If you want to see in person what people typically see when watching Westminster or the National Dog Show, you've got to check the judging program to see what time groups begin. <= When I was much younger, I remember going to dog shows with my older sisters and doing all the browsing and having a quandary about waiting 3-4 hours in order to see groups. So I'm saying - you might want to dress comfortably, bring a chair, and try to target those times when the breeds you like are showing + have a game plan for seeing what you want to see.

Unless I'm wrong, the Golden national is in California (LA) this year. So you're lucky as far as timing goes... :)

Home | 2019 GRCA National Special
The national is being hosted by GRCLA but it is being held in Ontario

1 - 5 of 5 Posts