Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

i have another question about shows. There is a show a few hours from where I live in July and would love to go, just to watch what it is like. Ive never been to one. My puppy will be 3 months old by then, so I can't leave her home alone all day. Is it ok to take her with me to the show and just carry her in my arms? Would I be asked to leave? Their website says: "The public is welcome to attend, free of charge; however, the AKC rules do not allow unentered dogs on the show grounds." Since she is so young, would that still be an issue? Or maybe they mean where the other dogs that are competing are located and not where the public is located? Sorry this is all so new to me, I want to make sure I can go and watch with my puppy since I can't leave her home. Thank you so much! :)

·
Kate
20,575 Posts
Which show?

It all really depends on the location.

I guess put it this way... dog show I was at this past weekend was indoors and at a fairly expensive location. I did not bring my unentered dog because I would have had to be extra "sneaky" to get him in past the guards at the doors. I did find this show had loosened up quite a bit from prior years. Prior years, they had workers roving the floor and checking handlers for wrist bands. I remember I looked down at my outfit (suit, skirt, nylons, dressy shoes) and looked back and straight out asked the person if they though I'd be dressed like that if I were not entered. *shakes head*

Show I'm entered at next week - I'd definitely say anyone can bring their dogs. It's all outside and as long as you aren't walking your dogs through the closed in spaces of the grooming tents and up to crates (I've seen that!), you are encouraged to attend and spend time with the family - including the dogs. <= I'm trying to get my sister to bring her dog along those lines.

3 month old puppy - you are OK if at least 2 rounds of vaccinations. But still be sensible about potty areas and visiting with dogs. There have been stomach viruses and KC viruses passed around at dog shows...

·
the party's crashing us
4,173 Posts
Is the show indoors or outdoors?
I absolutely would NOT take a 3 month old puppy to an indoor show.
Outdoor show if the weather is good, then OK. Because when you get tired of walking them around or carrying them (and you will....walking or carrying any dog for hours is miserable) you can put them back in a crate in the car.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
I've only been to outdoor shows at a specific venue but people bring unentered dogs ALL The time. Lana was entered in March when we went together and it was fine. Lana was entered in June and we came across a bunch of unentered puppies out for socialization.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts