Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help in finding the best shoe for my retriever. The last one I bought always kept falling off his paws, and the velcro straps were of no use. So, has anyone else also bought shoes for his 10-year-old retriever? If so, then can you please suggest me.

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,280 Posts
What are you using the shoe for? (Hot pavement, rocky terrain, snow/ice, traction, etc)

we use these (first pic) Grip Trex™ Dog Boot Pairs | Durable All-Terrain Paw Protection | Ruffwear but they’re probably a bit overkill in some situations. Theyre also kind of expensive, as you order in sets of 2 since they size the front and back feet differently. They are Velcro, and I just make sure that they’re wrapped fairly tight.

I have a friend that uses little felt booties (pink and black boots below) that are about $3/boot. As they are a very thin and soft material, they don’t offer as much traction.

Dog Sky Carnivore Dog breed Cloud

Sky Cloud Dog Ecoregion People in nature

Dog Mountain Sky Ecoregion Dog breed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you using the shoe for? (Hot pavement, rocky terrain, snow/ice, traction, etc)

we use these (first pic) Grip Trex™ Dog Boot Pairs | Durable All-Terrain Paw Protection | Ruffwear but they’re probably a bit overkill in some situations. Theyre also kind of expensive, as you order in sets of 2 since they size the front and back feet differently. They are Velcro, and I just make sure that they’re wrapped fairly tight.

I have a friend that uses little felt booties (pink and black boots below) that are about $3/boot. As they are a very thin and soft material, they don’t offer as much traction.

View attachment 893430
View attachment 893431
View attachment 893432
I sort of needed an all-in-one shoe, for every purpose like running, traction, adventures, and most importantly should be durable. I was going through this article the other day: Best Healers Dog Boots Reviewed - DoggyShoe.com, and I found the 2nd product (Urban Walker Booties) quite fulfilling my needs. They are stating that the boot is waterproof, recommended for adventures, gives traction indoor and outdoor & also stays on because of the hook & loop closure system. So, do you have any knowledge regarding these boots, if not then could you please tell me if the site and articles are genuine & I can trust them or not?

The last boot which I bought was grip trex only. They also stated that it is for dogs who hike, bike, run, or explore the great outdoors with their humans. But I found the traction not so good, the inside sole was irritating my dog & also the size was not perfect.

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,280 Posts
I’m not familiar with the hook and loop system, but perhaps others will chime in!
Regarding sizing, if you can get boots in pairs of 2, you can order 2 different sizes; the front and back paws are not exactly the same size so if all 4 booties are one size, chances are at least 2 paws won’t fit as nicely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not familiar with the hook and loop system, but perhaps others will chime in!
Regarding sizing, if you can get boots in pairs of 2, you can order 2 different sizes; the front and back paws are not exactly the same size so if all 4 booties are one size, chances are at least 2 paws won’t fit as nicely.
Got it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts