Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mom to Molly, 1 year
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our trash can SMELLS! DH said I should buy something to put the dog poo in until trash day. I surfed around the web and didn't see anything great. What do you all do with the dog poo between when you pick it up and trash day other than just throw it in the regular trash can?

I don't think I like the idea of that stand-alone septic system. Who wants to fuss with it every time you pick up poo (I read you have to add water every time). Besides, our yard isn't that big and that sounds smelly too.

Suggestions?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I have a separate small trash can ( with a pedal type thing to open it). I scoop the poo into there and that liner is changed daily. I also put a tsp of diatomaceous earth in there and it keeps flies away.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
We have a big white bucket outside our door. We toss the poo-filled bags in there everytime we come back from our walks then empty the bucket into the trash on trash day!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
We keep a small bag outside use a rake and shovel (small type) to pick up poos and put it in the bag. We use the rake to twist it up each time we finish. Alittle of a pain, but it works. We put it in the trash can the day of trash pick up

677 Posts
I have the "Doggy Dooley" septic system for our dogs. I LOVE it! You do have to dig a sizable hole to install it, but after that it is really quite easy, non smelly and "discrete".
You do NOT have to add water every time you use it. I stick the hose in for a couple of minutes a week. You can also add an accellerator, but I only do that a couple of times a summer. It opens with your foot on a trigger. Nobody has even noticed it in my yard, as it's surface "footprint" is only about 6 square inches. It really is worth a second look! I've had to replace mine once, after about 7 years.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Our cat's litter comes in a plastic container with a hinged/snap top. I spray painted one recently (original color is lime green, nothing like advertising there is POOP in here! :)) and I have always lined it with a bag. Then I either scoop poop with a little shovel or use another plastic bag and drop it in the container. The snap top keeps it from smelling and it has been working really well.

·
Premium Member
18,015 Posts
Are you bagging and tying shut the bag for the individual clean up before you toss it in the can? Bagging it will really cut down on the odor.

·
Mom to Molly, 1 year
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love all the ideas. Sounds like I need to choose a small trash can with a lit and use my kitchen trash bag liners to line it.

Are you bagging and tying shut the bag for the individual clean up before you toss it in the can? Bagging it will really cut down on the odor.
We do use individual bags BUT the kids are required to pick up the poo, and they aren't so good about knotting the bags. If I make too many rules about HOW they pick up the poo, I might have a revolt and have to do it myself. I will strongly SUGGEST that they try to knot the bag after they get the poo in it.

Is there a type of bag easier to knot than the bags-on-board kind? The kids vetoed the grocery plastic bags because too many of them have holes in them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use the scented (mint) liners from the $2 shop in a small bin and tie them off daily then into the big bin - the tying off and minted bags ( you can get rose, lavender ..... ) make a difference I think
Good luck on your quest :)

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I'm using a garbage can and shavings. Put a layer of shavings in, then poop. Then more shavings. It doesn't smell so far, the shavings seem to help dry things up. The plan is to either dump into a bag and trash, or when it's full put some holes in and then store it for a year or so to compost. I figure if we have 3-4 cans on the go we can just do that and then use that compost for the flowers when it's done (takes a year or more to break down).

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'm using a garbage can and shavings. Put a layer of shavings in, then poop. Then more shavings. It doesn't smell so far, the shavings seem to help dry things up. The plan is to either dump into a bag and trash, or when it's full put some holes in and then store it for a year or so to compost. I figure if we have 3-4 cans on the go we can just do that and then use that compost for the flowers when it's done (takes a year or more to break down).

I really like this idea!! I have a real problem putting something 100% biodegradable (poop) into a landfill inside a non-biodegradable container (baggie). I do like those poop bags that are 100% biodegradable, but they are kind of expensive.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have been considering the flushable dog poop bags:
flushable and biodegradable dog poop bags
I think they are sold on Amazon.

I am concerned about the pathogens with composting dog poop. But I guess if it is not used for food crops it wouldn't matter. I have also been thinking of making my own system like the Doggy Dooley type septic system. We have just been living with a stinky trashcan for the last 4 years, but the puppy poop (or possibly just having 2 dogs now) is making it smell a little too much.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
The kids vetoed the grocery plastic bags because too many of them have holes in them.
besides here, we now have to pay a nickle for every bag we use from the grocery store so now many of us use our own cloth, plastic bags, bins etc for shopping.

I think that doggie septic is a great idea and I know the perfect spot, right beside our own septic tanks.

Off shopping tonight, hopefully I can get this at my local pet store.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I have the "Doggy Dooley" septic system for our dogs. I LOVE it! You do have to dig a sizable hole to install it, but after that it is really quite easy, non smelly and "discrete".
You do NOT have to add water every time you use it. I stick the hose in for a couple of minutes a week. You can also add an accellerator, but I only do that a couple of times a summer. It opens with your foot on a trigger. Nobody has even noticed it in my yard, as it's surface "footprint" is only about 6 square inches. It really is worth a second look! I've had to replace mine once, after about 7 years.
We had one of these when we lived in town and I agree, it worked great. Our cover was round and green (old style maybe) and easily blended in with the grass. There was no odor and I don't remember having to add water each time either.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
We used to use one of those Diaper Genies. Works great!
We'd bag the poo, put it in the diaper genie and would empty that when it got full. It's really convenient - the genie has its own liner/refill system right inside. Really keeps the smell to a minimum, too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
We had one of these when we lived in town and I agree, it worked great. Our cover was round and green (old style maybe) and easily blended in with the grass. There was no odor and I don't remember having to add water each time either.
Are the plastic ones okay or do you recommend the metal ones (or making your own)? I also noticed that they have the pyramid shaped and the round type. Which do you recommend?

·
Registered
176 Posts
hehe the poo trash..
i remember when we were little..we had a delmatin.
there was a 'poo trash bin' out in the back..full.
stunk to high heavens..with poop so old it was white *making yucky face*
i dont know WHAT my dad did with that but i can still smell that can now!;)(not litterly)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts