Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Hey everyone! While I totally agree that some dog parks are not good places to take your dog, there are exceptions. There is a dog park near me that mainly just people from our neighborhood go to, so we all know one another and each others dogs, making it a great place to socialize. And its not like there are usually twenty dogs at once - maybe about seven or sometimes even only one or two. So in some situations dog parks can be okay. The dogs all know each other and get along great and its been a great experience.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Hey everyone! While I totally agree that some dog parks are not good places to take your dog, there are exceptions. There is a dog park near me that mainly just people from our neighborhood go to, so we all know one another and each others dogs, making it a great place to socialize. And its not like there are usually twenty dogs at once - maybe about seven or sometimes even only one or two. So in some situations dog parks can be okay. The dogs all know each other and get along great and its been a great experience.
I'd just try to make sure the dogs are current on vaccinations and don't have any communicable diseases while you are there. With such a small number of people it's probably easier to check those things out beforehand.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Oh absolutely! I completely agree! I would also advise waiting until your pup is a little older and bigger - even with great dogs and people, a small puppy is probably too delicate and little to handle it. And of course make sure you are up date on vaccinations and etc!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Oh absolutely! I completely agree! I would also advise waiting until your pup is a little older and bigger - even with great dogs and people, a small puppy is probably too delicate and little to handle it. And of course make sure you are up date on vaccinations and etc!
Don't forget that some parasites live in the soil and can be transmitted so be sure to wipe off their paws and fur afterwards.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have three Goldens. The first Golden I took to the dog park in the large dog section when he was four months old. There were wonderful opportunities to socialize with well-behaved dogs and people; however, the incidents that did occur were not worth it. He was put down by another dog, rolled, and bit in the muzzle. It took all the joy out of it for me. The solution for us was to get to the park just as the gates were opening at 6AM. There was hardly more than two or three other dogs there and we got to know the owners and their dogs. When I brought home two more pups, we went with our oldest Golden into the little dog park. That way they could socialize with the other dogs without the rough play. The rules stated that we were not allowed in the small dog area because of their size, but no one ever used it - especially in the winter. So we made friends and the people there just understood that they were pups and were so nice about welcoming then. So I think you can work it out but you have to be very careful and aware of the owners and dogs that are at the park. I decide who my dogs play with - not the dogs or other owners. I taught my dogs to walk off leash and stay by my side at the dog park. There are good opportunities to train at dog parks. I would definitely wait until your pup is a year old - unless you can do what I did and have them there but bring them in an area that is not being used.

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maybe you could stop by the dog park without your puppy a few times, at different times of the day and week just to see how things are there.

I've never been to a dog park but my daughter/ex-SIL used to go frequently and after hearing some of their stories, I've stayed away.
My wife and I currently bring our 1 year old Bichon Frise to the dog park and most of the dogs are larger (which she loves) I have only had one bad experience with an owner and we go every day. Since the bad experience, I have never seen the dog or its owners back.

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi, welcome to the forum! Where in Ontario are you from?

I definitely wouldn't bring my puppy until it is over 4 months and has had all of its puppy shots done! Also, check with your local dog park. It may have rules regarding the minimum age, as well as their spay/neuter requirements.

This is what I do IF I decide to try and take my dog to the dog park. If we are in need of an off-leash run, we drive over and I leave him in the car while I go check out the dog park for a few minutes to see how each dog is interacting with others, and see if there are any big bullies in there. If the dogs seem to be ok and the owners are being responsible as well, I'll bring Molson in. Otherwise we leash up and go for a walk around the block instead. Sometimes we've only lasted 5 mins in the park and then a bully or irresponsible owner shows up and we leave.

Some parks are better than others, but you never know what you're going to get at a dog park!

I am from Hamilton :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts