Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add some food for thought about visiting dog parks in general;
adding much respect to @SunnysDad at the same time!

When discussing the potential dangers in a public dog park; it was suggested that people find other areas to exercise their dogs, like hiking trails etc, so as to avoid conflicts that require intervention.
There are many senior dog owners, physically ill, and even incapacitated dog owners, that do not have that option. They have the same rights as others; as do their dogs, no matter what the breed or combination of breeds!

Those of us that fall into one of these categories (I am a senior), simply can't do things like we used to in our youth. Our dogs deserve the same care and attention that younger and healthier owners give to their loved pets. I am lucky enough to have a good sized yard for my dogs to romp, so they are not lacking in mental or physical excercise. It is also everyone's right (in Nevada anyway) to protect and defend against attack..be it from a dog, wild animal, or something else.

I still find it a shame that the dog parks in Northern Nevada have become disease ridden, and dangerous in general of late. Wild animals have been driven from their homes, by development and go where they go..hiking trails included (we have lots of bears up there..and occasional Mountain Lions as well, especially in the fall..)

A public park should be just that....a public, safe, and free place for all owners breeds to visit and enjoy. Unfortunately that is no longer the case where I live.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,640 Posts
I think the majority of people that do not recommend dog parks is not just about the potential for contracting a disease like distemper or other diseases and not for the right.. people can take their dogs to dog parks all they want. I think the majority is speaking of irresponsible owners who take dogs that are either aggressive or fear aggressive to other dogs and the owner just let them run free causing dog fights or intimidating a more shy or unsocialized dog/puppy. This leading to fear issues around other dogs.

Unless I misread your post, I think it's more about crappy owners not paying attention to their dogs and or just letting their dogs be bullies with other dogs. I seen a lady in a park with a pit mix on her phone NOT paying attention to her dog and it's running around charging other dogs, pinning them to the ground and starting a fight with another and all the while people are asking who's dog it is and she gets up and says, oh it's mine goes over grabs the dog's collar pulls them 5 feet away and lets it go and is back watching her phone and the dog is back to causing chaos.

The issue is this type of situation is common in dog parks where people feel they can take any dog and let them run unattended.. in other words the worst type of dog owner in a dog parks. This is the reason dog parks are really why you want to stay clear of them.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Health concerns are the least of my worries w dog parks. It's the idiot owners I worry about, which I guess to some extent might slip over to the lack of vaccines but as long as people take their dogs to parks and have zero idea what is going on there, I will continue to tell people not to use a dog park for exercise. Elderly? If they can walk their dog to the gate of the park, they can also walk the dog period. Take the dog for a walk or hire a teenager to jog him. But don't go to dog parks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Unfortunately there are people that are incapacitated, on fixed incomes, and also have dogs. There is barely enough money for them to live on and feed their dogs properly; so additional expenses, however small, are out of the question. Congested living areas, as well as rural (as in my own case), each have to deal with their own problems. My own preference will always be to defend, both my dogs as well as myself whenever and however needed.

People usually have zero insurance that dogs in ANY public settings have been properly vaccinated. (in many settings)
I know of one breeder (Aussies) that is a complete anti-vaxer and shows her dogs at shows.

ie:
from: Could Your Pup Be Picking Up Diseases at Dog Events?
disclaimer: I highlighted areas that are of concern to me)

"According to Jason Stull, VMD, MPVM, PhD Diplomate ACVPM, an Assistant Professor in the Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine at the Ohio State University, “bringing dogs together for play dates and events, as well as having them visit dog parks, daycare and boarding facilitates, training and socialization classes and dog shows, can increase the risk of exposure to many infectious diseases that can affect you and your pet.”

To help dog owners and event organizers better understand and prevent transmission of infectious diseases in dogs and beyond, the American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation (CHF), in collaboration with the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), funded a study with Stull as lead researcher and co-author to provide practical guidelines to reduce the risk of diseases spread in the canine population.

A large number of reported parvo cases in late 2012 and early 2013, with exposure to the virus believed to have taken place at dog shows, motivated OFA to suggest and fund the study.

Eddie Dziuk, Chief Operating Officer of the OFA, entered his beagle, Miss P, the 2015 Westminster Best in Show, at her first Westminster Annual Kennel Club Dog Show in 2013. A month before the show, she was at another show where several dogs subsequently became sick. Even though she was fully vaccinated, Dziuk believes she was exposed to the virus, and didn’t want to risk her, in turn, infecting any other dogs.

“This led to the realization that there was a need for better documentation regarding risk mitigation and easily understood information regarding infectious disease, the symptoms, severity, shedding timelines, etc.” notes Dziuk."

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was an article in the NY Times recently on dog parks. It’s discusses many of the issues posters have raised.
I tried to read that article in the Times, but needed a subscription..so I could not continue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you go into The NY Times directly it may well let you read the article, usually gives you a few free readings, But then says you’ve hit your limit, time to get a subscription. ? the old bait and switch.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you go into The NY Times directly it may well let you read the article, usually gives you a few free readings, But then says you’ve hit your limit, time to get a subscription. ? the old bait and switch.
TY..additionally, a Cookie Manager will allow you to read pretty much what you want..by removing a sites tracking cookies!
I always agree to their cookie policy, but after that..I can erase them as I please! :LOL:

Windows: Firefox manager that I use..+ others:

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Oh sorry. Yes Didn’t realize that might be an issue.
Yeah, I had the same issue when I posted an article from the Washington Post on another thread. You either need a subscription or have to find it somewhere on line where it is not connected to whatever cookies are placed on your machine, The NY Times allows non subscribers 10 articles a month and then cuts you off so it depends on where you are in the cycle. Sometimes clearing cookies from your computer helps. I was able to find the WP post article unprotected, so was able to repost. Thanks for the information, tho.

·
Super Moderator
4,715 Posts
I was able to read the article. It made some very good points, in my opinion.
We have been to 2 dog parks, the first was more about people visiting and dog running wild. Lots of negative dog interactions and owners that didn't even notice. We went twice then never returned.
We visit the other one to give Honey new experiences and enjoy the fresh water pond there. It's a large fenced area, has small and large dog areas, a few agility items, and a pond. We try to go when it's quiet there to enjoy the large areas with our dog.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,640 Posts
Unfortunately there are people that are incapacitated, on fixed incomes, and also have dogs. There is barely enough money for them to live on and feed their dogs properly; so additional expenses, however small, are out of the question. Congested living areas, as well as rural (as in my own case), each have to deal with their own problems. My own preference will always be to defend, both my dogs as well as myself whenever and however needed.

People usually have zero insurance that dogs in ANY public settings have been properly vaccinated. (in many settings)
I know of one breeder (Aussies) that is a complete anti-vaxer and shows her dogs at shows.

ie:
from: Could Your Pup Be Picking Up Diseases at Dog Events?
disclaimer: I highlighted areas that are of concern to me)

"According to Jason Stull, VMD, MPVM, PhD Diplomate ACVPM, an Assistant Professor in the Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine at the Ohio State University, “bringing dogs together for play dates and events, as well as having them visit dog parks, daycare and boarding facilitates, training and socialization classes and dog shows, can increase the risk of exposure to many infectious diseases that can affect you and your pet.”

To help dog owners and event organizers better understand and prevent transmission of infectious diseases in dogs and beyond, the American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation (CHF), in collaboration with the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), funded a study with Stull as lead researcher and co-author to provide practical guidelines to reduce the risk of diseases spread in the canine population.

A large number of reported parvo cases in late 2012 and early 2013, with exposure to the virus believed to have taken place at dog shows, motivated OFA to suggest and fund the study.

Eddie Dziuk, Chief Operating Officer of the OFA, entered his beagle, Miss P, the 2015 Westminster Best in Show, at her first Westminster Annual Kennel Club Dog Show in 2013. A month before the show, she was at another show where several dogs subsequently became sick. Even though she was fully vaccinated, Dziuk believes she was exposed to the virus, and didn’t want to risk her, in turn, infecting any other dogs.

“This led to the realization that there was a need for better documentation regarding risk mitigation and easily understood information regarding infectious disease, the symptoms, severity, shedding timelines, etc.” notes Dziuk."
Odds are that breeder does the original set of shots + rabies (must be given by law) and then does titer testing. A huge majority of dogs never need shots after the final booster at 4 months old. The only one is rabies, every 3 years.

And in the people that are incapacitated, no money can barely feed themselves, maybe shouldn't have a dog if they can't care for it properly? I'm not trying to be mean, but isn't it cruel to the dog getting no exercise, maybe not eating consistently and probably not getting the vet care needed if these people you speak of can't afford them?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,640 Posts
Yeah, I had the same issue when I posted an article from the Washington Post on another thread. You either need a subscription or have to find it somewhere on line where it is not connected to whatever cookies are placed on your machine, The NY Times allows non subscribers 10 articles a month and then cuts you off so it depends on where you are in the cycle. Sometimes clearing cookies from your computer helps. I was able to find the WP post article unprotected, so was able to repost. Thanks for the information, tho.
If you're taking about the doors that load not right after they have a pop-up that you need to buy a sub to read it?

Simply load the screen and either just before it right after the article loads, hit the stop or X button to stop the site from continuing to load. You might have to try it a few times to stop it at the right time that the article loads but the pop-up doesn't. I do this with anything linked that I can't read without subscriptions. Ezpz

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It is not anyone's place to tell people that they should, or should not have a dog. There are therapy/support dogs that are provided by public funding to those that might need them. It is up to them to decide if they should own a dog, and if they can properly care for it. We have many donated services here, that help those in need..including homeless people that own dogs, for whatever reason. One of the organizations is *** in Reno. There are also people that became incapacitated or homeless AFTER they had already owed a dog.

When people say that they are not trying to be mean etc....that is exactly what they are trying to be.
Same deal..Adults get to decide for themselves, as it should be.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I inadvertently posted a snapshot of a charity for the homeless' dog's website, that showed contact info etc., in Northern Nevada; so here is what I was talking about with the offending data redacted.

I do contribute food and whatever else I have left over, for what I consider to be a worthy cause for both the owners and their dogs. Dogs don't have to be pure breeds to get quality care. There are also free medical checkups as well as free vaccinations for any dogs in need. Most Humane societies will give free core vaccines and fee chipping services too, for those less fortunate then us..

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I doubt Eric was deliberately being mean. I do doubt all people who have dogs should have them and completely agree with Eric. If a person is incapacitated and cannot afford food much less vet care, they have no business with a pet. Certainly something pays when there is no money for food- either the dog or its human. There are worse things than relinquishing an animal one cannot afford. A day does not go by -seriously- not one day goes by- that my daughter doesn't tell me about someone who cannot afford even a humane euthanasia and the whole mindset of people thinking someone owes them vet care or dog food or whatever is just idiotic. It is a burden on the veterinarians who have to hear one more person say they are ripping them off or accusing them of charging too much when just simple observational skills can allay a lot of problems before they become large ones that can't be fixed. There will always be people who think they are owed by society the 'right' to have a pet and have someone else pay that pet's bills, but those are losers to the last cell of their bodies. Society does not owe anyone a pet or that pet's care.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My initial thought about people being incapacitated and going to a dog park had to do with someone suggesting that an dog owner(s) should hire a teenager to take their dog to the park. I made a case that not everyone could afford that luxury these days.

I started this thread as an attempt to continue a discussion by @SunnysDad that turned into an off topic insult session, and the OP requested that it be closed; and rightfully so imo!

This thread is about Dog Parks ..either yea or nay and not about people being financially able to care for their dogs.

NO ONE has the right to decide who can and cannot own a dog, except perhaps LE.
My comments stand as written!

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
Everyone has different viewpoints and opinions..........

Please be respectful to each other and keep the Forum Rules in mind when you post.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
No one asked you to retract your comments- they can stand- I just totally disagree with you. But I am not a (whatever) who thinks the whole world should be free and everyone is owed a pet. And to the topic- NAY. and a big one. ESPECIALLY if the owner is incapacitated- owner unable to go control a situation is just stupid, no two ways about that. And the height of irresponsible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts