Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are so many of us that have the same issues on here. I really wish we all lived closer to each other and where able to establish a park that was members only with strict rules for dog interaction and what is acceptable.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have always taken my dogs to dog parks and I have just started introducing Vločka to them. However, I am a hyper vigilant owner and very carefully monitor my dogs and other dogs. Because Vločka is just a puppy and rather small and shy, I am a helicopter mom. The other day, someone had a "rescue" who got into tussles 3 times within 5 minutes. Let's just say that I made them leave ... nicely. Alas, because I am disabled, the dog park is the best way to exhaust my pups.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As a new dog owner, I would take Leo to the park often around 6-7 months. I had taken him to puppy playtime and training and socialized him as much as I could so I thought a dog park would be great for him to play with other dogs. That was not the case. Leo does not like overly jumpy dogs or dogs that like to instigate or provoke chasing and if there is a ball at the park he just wants to play with me and the ball rather than other dogs. He has snapped a couple of times and is reactive if we are on leash and rude dog owners bring their dogs to say hi to him even though I tell them hes not good with other dogs on leash. I wish more people had better leash etiquette!!! (but thats for another post) He has a couple of dog friends I allow him to play with and only in large open fields. We have a dog park in our apartment complex community and it is big enough for two dogs at most in my opinion. There are 12 dogs in there at a time sometimes and I have heard too many dog fights for my liking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never considered taking any of our dogs to a dog park! This is based on my reading on this website. Many bad things happen in dog parks...fortunately, I live in an are with lots of open land that I can run my dog on, with few people or dogs to compete with.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dog parks here (Reno, NV) are bad these days. Parvo is rampant, and what was my favorite park many years ago, is now infested with bats (caves are close by) and even coyotes. We also had a bout of dog flu in Reno a few yrs back, so everyone here is on guard, about letting their dogs go to a park.

Haven't been to a dog park in over 10 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have just about had it with going to Dog parks. We have had contstant issues with dogs becoming agressive towards Sunny. We went to a Dog park yesterday and we had 3 dogs become agressive with the last one chasing him trying to bite him so I kicked it to get it away from Sunny and before that there was another 1 year old male Golden that was there that became vicous with Sunny for no good reason. Now both Sunny and he are intact so someone told me that that could have been the reason but Sunny has never shown any viscous agressive behavior even though he is intact. I do watch him all the time to make sure he isn't trying to mount or hump them. I just don't understand why he is attacked by other dogs so much. I am just tired of other Dogs unpredicatibility towards Sunny. I get the standard responce from the owners of the other dogs saying that "it's the first time their dog has done that" which I have a hard time believing. Have you guys had similar experiences?
Gus is very chill and submissive, so he often becomes an easy target for more aggressive dogs. I try to only take him to the dog park during times of the day that aren’t crowded.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Instead of kicking dogs in dog parks, take your dog for a nice long hike so you can both enjoy some real exercise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Instead of kicking dogs in dog parks, take your dog for a nice long hike so you can both enjoy some real exercise.
Thanks for judging me. I have every right to defend myself and my dog and if your dog was attacked I am sure you would do the same. You have absolutely no idea what we do and where we go so unless you have something productive to contribute kindly keep your comment to yourself. Nothing like a arm chair quarter back...

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Lot of really bad experiences here. I want folks who may be reading this thread and thinking of taking their dog to one to give it a try. It's not all fighting and bickering with dogs and people.

Be attentive with your dog, watch how other dogs behave, and give it a chance. It's a wonderful way to socialize dogs and many dog parks are nice places to socialize with people too.

If you're in the Denver metro area, Parker has a wonderful park called Bayou Gulch that is well maintained. I won't say there have never been problem dogs, but they tend to not come back.

BAYOU GULCH REGIONAL PARK, Parker CO

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for judging me. I have every right to defend myself and my dog and if your dog was attacked I am sure you would do the same. You have absolutely no idea what we do and where we go so unless you have something productive to contribute kindly keep your comment to yourself. Nothing like a arm chair quarter back...
No, not judging you. Just saying there are much better alternatives to dog parks.
And that if you kicked my dog you'd be in real trouble (other people have every right to defend themselves too, if you put it that way).

·
Registered
602 Posts
TBH..When I used to go to a dog park, years ago, I had a CCW permit, and always carried to protect against whatever. There were times that unleashed pit bulls were in the park, so needless to say..we returned home.

Happily, I never had the occasion to un-holster my weapon, but would have done so if self protection were needed. In those days it was legal to openly carry for any adult to carry..as long as the weapon was not concealed, (Concealment required a CCW) at least 21 yrs old in Nevada USA)..Like you could have a holstered weapon on your hip!
Things today are very different.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is another LOCAL reason that I avoid dog parks..

advertising deleted by me:"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Train WITHOUT Pain
** Deleted.**

Rattlesnake Avoidance Classes

Limited spots available!

Dogz is bringing you Rattlesnake Avoidance training for your dogs WITHOUT THE USE OF SHOCK COLLARS.
Our snake avoidance training teaches dogs to avoid ALL SNAKES including rattlesnakes.

Our program is positive but we do teach the dog to avoid snakes by Sight, Sound, Scent and movement.

- Every dog must have a handler
- The course will run 2 hours
- Each course is limited to 8 dogs

Multiple dogs:
Multiple dogs will need multiple handlers or different start times!

"

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.