Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just about had it with going to Dog parks. We have had contstant issues with dogs becoming agressive towards Sunny. We went to a Dog park yesterday and we had 3 dogs become agressive with the last one chasing him trying to bite him so I kicked it to get it away from Sunny and before that there was another 1 year old male Golden that was there that became vicous with Sunny for no good reason. Now both Sunny and he are intact so someone told me that that could have been the reason but Sunny has never shown any viscous agressive behavior even though he is intact. I do watch him all the time to make sure he isn't trying to mount or hump them. I just don't understand why he is attacked by other dogs so much. I am just tired of other Dogs unpredicatibility towards Sunny. I get the standard responce from the owners of the other dogs saying that "it's the first time their dog has done that" which I have a hard time believing. Have you guys had similar experiences?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog that's owned by a service dog organization but lives with me is strictly forbidden by our contract from going to dog parks. I don't take my personal dogs to a dog park either. I'm not a fan of dog parks.
Thanks for the reply and that's interesting and makes sense about the service dog contract. Sunny really loves playing with dogs even with the crap we have encountered. I just feel bad I can't provide him with fun safe play experiences.

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
Thanks for the reply and that's interesting and makes sense about the service dog contract. Sunny really loves playing with dogs even with the crap we have encountered. I just feel bad I can't provide him with fun safe play experiences.
I recommend making friends with one or two people who have a friendly dog and then just hanging out with that dog at your own house or the other person's house.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Yes this happens with intact male dogs. Denver is intact and has several great playmates, however we have a black lab mix in our community who CONSTANTLY wants to mount Denver the minute he sees him. This dog is neutered, and I think smells that Denver is intact and immediately wants to assert dominance. Then of course Denver tells the dog to knock it off in a growl, which sets the other dog off. I usually keep interactions with that owner very brief, even though we are friends, because her dog doesn’t have manners.

Many parks do not allow intact dogs (males or females) because other dogs can become dominant/insecure/aggressive in the presence of intact dogs. We don’t go to dogs parks because IMO many poorly mannered dogs frequent them. And their owners usually are using dog parks as a form of exercise, resulting in overstimulated and rude interactions between dogs.

I agree with Goldendude. Find some well mannered and social dogs that you can set up play dates with, or off leash hikes or walks etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When my Louis was still intact every dog in the neighbourhood wanted to attack him! It was crazy when we went for walks. He's had no problems with other dogs since he got neutered so I can only guess he was giving off some hormone scent which other dogs perceived as threat or something???

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have had similar experiences at the dog park. No more. It’s just not worth the risk. Instead we take Monty to a doggie camp at least once a week for hours of supervised playtime with other dogs. The dogs are evaluated upfront and no aggressive dogs are permitted. He has been going to the camp for more than 2 years with no issues. They have cameras so you can always see what your dog is doing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much everyone for your responces to this question. I am not feeling as alone in my situation now. It really seems like the canine world is pretty screwed up. We are going to be very picky from now on where Sunny goes and who he plays with. I am not going to put him in harms way anymore, he is sucha good boy and well manored that I don't want to risk having him tramatized emotionally or wounded physically.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I have just about had it with going to Dog parks. We have had contstant issues with dogs becoming agressive towards Sunny. We went to a Dog park yesterday and we had 3 dogs become agressive with the last one chasing him trying to bite him so I kicked it to get it away from Sunny and before that there was another 1 year old male Golden that was there that became vicous with Sunny for no good reason. Now both Sunny and he are intact so someone told me that that could have been the reason but Sunny has never shown any viscous agressive behavior even though he is intact. I do watch him all the time to make sure he isn't trying to mount or hump them. I just don't understand why he is attacked by other dogs so much. I am just tired of other Dogs unpredicatibility towards Sunny. I get the standard responce from the owners of the other dogs saying that "it's the first time their dog has done that" which I have a hard time believing. Have you guys had similar experiences?
I would never bring my Border Collies to a dog park, but I do bring Felix.
In our park, there are several golden retrievers, the majority of which have very bad manners. One that comes to mind is a intact dog that does not read the body language of any dog, wants to mount (his owner is onto it), and basically tries to force dogs to play with him. He often times gets chased away as a result or snapped at.

Felix hasn’t started mounting, but if he’s ever rude to another dog (too pushy), I let the other dog correct him. There have been a few times when another dog has been a bully and we’ve had to break it up, one that comes into mind is a Shiba Inu who insisted his dog was playing but I tried to tell him that his dog’s version was playing was terrible.

Coming from more sensitive breeds, I can understand why a Golden would be chased off. Now if Sonny is absolutely respectful, then there is absolutely no reason for it. Yes male dogs can have issues, but many times they do just get along. Breeders wouldn’t be able to have multiple intact males if they fought all the time.

As a rule, I am not a fan of dog parks. My collies have all had terrible experiences and I’m always on edge because some owners don’t realize that their super playful dog is actually very pushy and rude. As far as Sonny goes, I’m sorry to hear he’s getting bullied :( some dogs are just jerks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been doing some more thinking about this and I wonder if you folks think that part of the reason there is issues with fixed dogs having issues with intact dogs is that they where fixed too young? For along time people have been getting their dogs fixed at 6 months or well before they start going thru puberty. I wonder if this contributes to the issues with the fixed dogs not having a full understanding of hormones and what they are all about? The more I think about neutering dogs before they at least reach full maturity the more I dislike the idea.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Very interesting! I wish Sunny lived closer! Aidan also needs a playmate. Ive not taken him to a dog park and didn’t know this was a common thing. He’s also in tact and is definitely not dominant. When we walk and encounter dogs, he’s curious but cautious if they appear unfriendly. The only dogs he’s been around regularly are older dogs who don’t want anything to do with playing. I thought about going to the pet store play date thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting! I wish Sunny lived closer! Aidan also needs a playmate. Ive not taken him to a dog park and didn’t know this was a common thing. He’s also in tact and is definitely not dominant. When we walk and encounter dogs, he’s curious but cautious if they appear unfriendly. The only dogs he’s been around regularly are older dogs who don’t want anything to do with playing. I thought about going to the pet store play date thing.
I wish Aidan was closer too. It sounds like they would get along famously.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took my female Layla to a dog park just once. She was just five months old and small for her age. First I tried taking to the area for dogs under 25 pounds. She maybe was a bit over 30 at the time. She was playing with the other dogs having a good ole time. But she inadvertently hurt a much smaller dog. It was truly nothing but the owner said she was to big and asked me to leave. I went to the other area for bigger dogs. Layla is very sweet almost timid. She was not well received. That ended my dog park days for good

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had 2 females and they did fine at the dog parks (I'm choosey about which ones I take them to). Now I have a year old intact male who is very masculine looking but would not harm a flea. I took him to a water park on leash this fall to swim him and the minute he walked in... the MINUTE he walked in!... two males came up to him growling with their hackles raised. I yelled at them to get away. One dog proceeded to bit him on the neck. I yelled at the owners to come get your dog which they did. That is the LAST TIME I will take him anywhere where the dogs are off leash! I guess male dogs have their pecking order and they know when a good looking male walks in they're a threat!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also had this problem with other dogs. I think it is because our guy is still intact and when other males who aren’t come near him, they try to attack. Even our neighborhood chihuahua!! So frustrating, but we aren’t ready to neuter him yet. I am definitely not going to be around any dog parks until he has been neutered because I don’t want to take any chances!

·
Registered
592 Posts
We don’t do dog parks. And I am selective about who I actually will allow my dog to play with. I often don’t trust the owners with knowing their own dogs temperament.

As of now she can play with a corgi and two golden retrievers.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
How should we be using the dog park? I take my dog to the park to exercise because she needs to run.
I was more commenting on owners of ill-mannered and poorly trained dogs using dog parks as a main form of exercise. IMO if anyone has a rude, poorly trained or ill-mannered dog, they should not be taking these dogs to public places to interact with other dogs, where all of the dogs are expected to be respectful and get along so there are not any issues.

If you have a dog that needs to run, IMO training a solid retrieve is the best way to burn off extra energy. We have been able to find many dog friendly hiking trails, which connect to open fields where we go to fetch and run around. In the spring, summer and fall, swimming is a great way to use energy. If you live in a city, I’m not sure that would be possible.. I just have experienced too many issues with unknown dogs at dog parks to feel comfortable using them. It is not worth it, to me, to put my dog at risk of getting bullied or attacked. As owners it is our job to set our dogs up for success and put them in safe situations. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We also tried going to the dog park ~ 3 or 4 times, more for socialization since we usually take our now 11 month old on our walking trails around our neighborhood. Not once did we have a good experience...no more dog parks....and no more beach either!..Too bad...it's not really because of the dogs, it's mostly the owners who do not pay attention to their dogs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts