Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a puppy and are hoping to get one in September. One thing we haven't decided on is what sex to get. Can anyone offer any advice as to which would be best to get with two kids - age 4 and 6, the youngest is autistic too. Thanks.

Also, what do you have and why?

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
We are looking for a puppy and are hoping to get one in September. One thing we haven't decided on is what sex to get. Can anyone offer any advice as to which would be best to get with two kids - age 4 and 6, the youngest is autistic too. Thanks.

I was told males have a "Love You, Love You" personality, while females are more "Love Me, Love Me".

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
We chose a boy just because we already had a girl and the maternal instincts I assumed she would have just weren't there. Max has them!! He is a goofy clown who always wants to be loved/played with. My son is AS and Max has been great for him. That love you love you attitude matches right with a boy who needs that love more than most.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have a boy and a girl. Darby is definitely velcro where Kirby is more independent but I am not sure that is a male/female thing as we chose Kirby out of 4 female puppies because she was more independent and an explorer (the others were more "lap pups").

Our breeder did say that there isn't as much as a difference with GR as with some breeds, they are both family oriented, easy going, loving dogs. The biggest difference in my two would be size (males are bigger) and in training, Kirby loves training and picks everything up incredibly fast and loves to learn new things. She has a tremendous attention span and retains information. Darby can't focus (I call him ADHD) wants to play, could care less about food and gets bored fast. I have found that he loves agility (fast paced and moving) and is picking it up faster then obedience commands (sit, stay, down, stay, heel - YAWN!!).

I don't really know if it's just the differences in the dogs or gender or the breed line or what. I will always have one of each sex, they seem to full fill each other. Bottom line you can't go wrong with either choice. Goldens are simply the best gender doesn't matter a whole lot.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Gender didn't really matter to me...I guess if I'd had the choice I would have picked male, but in reality, Ranger was so perfect for me it wouldn't have mattered if he was female!

I love male animals...I seem to connect more with them and am able to build a better bond than with females. The one exception was my female cat...

I love that Ranger is always up for cuddles and snuggles but is independent enough he's not going to demand them. I'd be super sad if I wanted snuggles and he turned his back on me or left!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I have two girls...I LOVE girls, have always had girls. One of mine is very independant and the other is a "lap dog". My last golden was also a girl and she was a velcro girl! :) I just think its personal preference.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

Having a puppy is an awful lot of work and I should imagine having two children at such a young age, with one being autistic, must also be hard. Are you sure you are ready for a puppy?:confused::confused: Have you thought about an older dog that lots of the training has been completed.:uhoh::uhoh: I dont mean rescue, but a breeder who has ran a puppy on to six months and the puppy isnt good enough for the show ring.:):)

Do think about this option. :wavey::wavey:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having a puppy is an awful lot of work and I should imagine having two children at such a young age, with one being autistic, must also be hard. Are you sure you are ready for a puppy?:confused::confused: Have you thought about an older dog that lots of the training has been completed.:uhoh::uhoh: I dont mean rescue, but a breeder who has ran a puppy on to six months and the puppy isnt good enough for the show ring.:):)

Do think about this option. :wavey::wavey:
A good idea.

I recently bought my first dog, and he was raised by the breeder for the first nine months. They decided not to use him as a show dog. There were several nests of pups, so I did get a choice. But coming back to the breeder's two months later to get Archie a trim and bath, boy, was I glad with the choice I made. The puppies who were still there were so full of energy! I know raising a puppy from seven weeks would have been too much for me at this point in time.

I live alone and am an adult diagnosed with Aspergers. I can confirm a 'love you' Golden (male) is perfect company for someone with ASD. I just wish I could have had the privilege of growing up with such a friend.

I posted some pictures of my loving boy in the introductions thread yesterday along with some words about his personality, in case you're interested.

Anyway, a Golden could work wonders for your child's emotional well being, giving her/him the opportunity to experience the unconditional love a Golden has to give and having a close friend that is hard to find for a child with ASD in the human world.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
A good idea.

I recently bought my first dog, and he was raised by the breeder for the first nine months. They decided not to use him as a show dog. There were several nests of pups, so I did get a choice. But coming back to the breeder's two months later to get Archie a trim and bath, boy, was I glad with the choice I made. The puppies who were still there were so full of energy! I know raising a puppy from seven weeks would have been too much for me at this point in time.

I live alone and am an adult diagnosed with Aspergers. I can confirm a 'love you' Golden (male) is perfect company for someone with ASD. I just wish I could have had the privilege of growing up with such a friend.

I posted some pictures of my loving boy in the introductions thread yesterday along with some words about his personality, in case you're interested.

Anyway, a Golden could work wonders for your child's emotional well being, giving her/him the opportunity to experience the unconditional love a Golden has to give and having a close friend that is hard to find for a child with ASD in the human world.
I want to know you!

Leif is very lucky in the fact that his overactive imagination and good looks ;) have helped him make/keep some friends but as he's getting older, he's having a harder and harder time of it as kids get meaner and meaner and don't appreciate his differences anymore.

Max was really the perfect dog for him in every way. He lets Leif lay all over him and is content to lay with his boy forever. Max is always up for a game or some attention and doesn't seem to mind when the boy gets a bit rough with him (not that Leif realizes he's too rough.) I know that when Leif had some bad days at school I would know by my son walking in the door, putting his bookbag down, and hugging the dog for a long time. I used to know because he would get upset over nothing at home and have a rough night. Now, a long hug and all is right in the world again. I am so thankful for Max, I don't think many people would understand how thankful, for that very reason.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
In my experience, males are more luvy-duvy, cuddly, and willing to please.

Females can be independent and more cat-like in attitude. They tend to let you know when they want attention, and are pretty demanding of it when the time comes. The rest of the time they pretty much don't want to be bothered.

This is an 18 year old picture of me, Rusty, Nikita and Podo (My first two Goldens, and first Siamese). Can you tell from their expressions which the female is? It's not hard LOL:

Attachments

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts

I also want to know you. I know that autism and AS have very distinct differences but as my son is older, maybe at times, I could be of help. :)

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I've had 4 male goldens and currently have a female, and honestly, all 5 have been love-bugs. All of my dogs are rescues, and I have adopted whichever dog needed a home. Gender is irrelevant in my situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts