Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else's Golden obsessed with his/her hair? Logan will pull out large chunks of his undercoat from his tail and then eat it. If I'm brushing him, he will try to get to the pile of hair that he has shed and eat it. Is this normal, or should I be concerned? He doesn't have any hot spots/itching/allergy issues that we know of, and the hair he pulls out is hair that needs to be shed anyway (I think).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info-- I didn't know that about pulling out tail hair. I forgot to mention that he has also been licking his paws a ton, which I see from a quick Google search can also be a sign of allergies. Poor little guy! Maybe he isn't agreeing with the change of seasons.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Maggie does this on occassion, out of boredom I do believe. I brush her daily and no evidence of hot spots, skin irritations or visible parasites such as fleas or ticks is bewildering. She was doing great on the concoction that Pointgold suggested: a 50:50 solution of Bitter Apple and Absorbine Jr. I spray liberally to affected areas. Maggies tail is much improved. Maggies pants hairs(the rear leg feathery hair, is coming back), however, she has found a new location for biting her hair and that is at her right shoulder area. I have to really work at keeping her busy. I recently weaned her from the crate(she is 18 months old), in the hopes that might have added to her boredom, even with Kongs and such. I do all that I am able to tire her out and keep her busy. Hoping that she will eventually outgrow this behavior. Maggie has been doing this since around last August, so we have cycled through a few seasons. Not sure if it's allergies, however in your case, it could very well be allergies. If I were you, along with checking the thyroid function, I'd be looking into finding a vet who specializes in dermatology. I found one in my area, just as a resource, in case I feel I am at the point where I need one. You didn't mention what you are feeding your boy. Just curious. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maggie does this on occassion, out of boredom I do believe. I brush her daily and no evidence of hot spots, skin irritations or visible parasites such as fleas or ticks is bewildering. She was doing great on the concoction that Pointgold suggested: a 50:50 solution of Bitter Apple and Absorbine Jr. I spray liberally to affected areas. Maggies tail is much improved. Maggies pants hairs(the rear leg feathery hair, is coming back), however, she has found a new location for biting her hair and that is at her right shoulder area. I have to really work at keeping her busy. I recently weaned her from the crate(she is 18 months old), in the hopes that might have added to her boredom, even with Kongs and such. I do all that I am able to tire her out and keep her busy. Hoping that she will eventually outgrow this behavior. Maggie has been doing this since around last August, so we have cycled through a few seasons. Not sure if it's allergies, however in your case, it could very well be allergies. If I were you, along with checking the thyroid function, I'd be looking into finding a vet who specializes in dermatology. I found one in my area, just as a resource, in case I feel I am at the point where I need one. You didn't mention what you are feeding your boy. Just curious. Good luck.

He eats ProPlan Performace mixed 50/50 with ProPlan LB puppy (what the breeder told me to feed him until the 1 year mark)

He doesn't have any bald spots or any thin areas from the hair pulling... it's almost like he just wants to get the excess hair off of him? It's hard to say. He also only seems to do it when we are in the room (ie when he's laying on the couch next to us).

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Allergies can occur at any time, I dont know about feeds other than in the UK but you may want to consider the cereals in the feed if there are some if its not the seasonal change thats causing it or anything else in the feed. Even though the breeder said to use it, it doesnt mean it will suit the puppy necessarily and may need adjusting,..good luck at finding out the problem. :crossfing

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
dollars to donuts that your pup is dealing with an environmental allergy - look up your allergy index, bet you will see high levels of certain pollens.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I find tail hair pulling can also be behavioral...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My golden, Riley, started eating his tail hair a few weeks ago...when I came back from 5 days away from him yesterday, he had eaten half his beautiful tail starting at the end not the base and won't let me touch it or trim it -- he also has an ear infection from allergies which he gets at every change of seasons -- so I gave him an allergy pill from the vet and a cortisone tab and am hoping that this will help the allergies and that his tail will grow back -- he also has that horrible odor from the anal sac --- think he needs to go back to the vet? This is getting expensive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts