Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, when I was out of the house a lot attending to my ailing father, I bought a CD geared towards calming dogs and relaxing them. Yogi was just a year old and I thought this might help him. Once I listened to it I realized I already had a lot of this type of music in our music collection of CDs, so I created mp3s and transferred them to an ancient unused phone of mine, a HTC EVO, after wiping the SD card clean. I renamed the phone Dog Phone, and I'm bluetoothing it through a Jambox. It's great and even I am relaxed listening to it! I forgot how calming this music really is- lots of acoustical piano.

·
Missing You Buzzy
712 Posts
That's a great idea!! Our new golden responds tremendously to soft acoustic piano. We go to my mom's who is a music teacher, she plays for hours and he's hypnotized to sleep under the piano, regardless of all the fun chaos around him with kids and dogs:) It relaxes me so much too!!
Growing up, my mom taught piano at home. My room was downstairs. I always knew the student didn't practice enough if our dog, Schubert, came to hang out with me instead of in the piano room:) They have great ears for music! :):)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so interesting! Do you play the piano too? I'd be tempted to record your Mom and use it!

My husband I realized early on in Yogi's puppyhood that he responded well to soft music and I kept it in the back of my mind. I ordered a dog music CD called Through a Dogs Ear and played it on our intercom CD player when I was out of the house frequently during my Dad's health crisis, just to calm him down with my absence. I thought about doing this for a while, but just got around to it a few weeks ago. I plan on listening to it myself at night!

·
Missing You Buzzy
712 Posts
That's so neat! It's a great idea to put together a collection of relaxing songs for the dogs!! I find it so relaxing too. When I moved out for University, twelve years ago, I had insomnia for a long time bc I didn't have the piano to fall asleep to.
She has recorded some stuff and it's beautiful. This is giving me a great idea to suggest she records several relaxing pieces and send them to doggie friends. She is very busy adjudicating during the year so a summer project would be perfect for her!! I'll keep you in mind!! Do you have an all time favorite piece?
I forgot to mention, no, currently I don't play. Played from K to 12 and suddenly being a teenager took over. But my mom has a spot in her schedule for my hubby and I to start in fall as we recently inherited a piano!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone wanting to try this but you don't have a lot of $$ to spend on soft music, go to jamendo.com and do a search for soft piano and download some of the songs for free, legal as long as it is for listening and not commercial use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts